Pedal Cycle Insurance
Our Bicycle Insurance will provide you with cover for theft and accidental damage or breakdown of your pedal cycle plus public liability cover while you use your pedal cycle – allowing you to go out and enjoy areas like the Great Western Greenway knowing that you are covered if the worse happens.
We aim to provide straight-forward insurance products at affordable prices. Whether you use your pedal cycle to commute to work, shop or as a leisure activity; our insurance product is designed with you in mind.
Our policy features include:
- Pedal cycle cover up to €3,000 in total – which can be 1 bike or multiple bikes.
- Accidental damage – Covers you for damage to your bicycle as a result of an accident.
- Theft – If your bicycle is stolen we will replace it.
- Breakdown – We will repair your bicycle if it breaks down due to mechanical failure outside of the manufacturer’s guarantee period.
- Public liability – We will cover the amounts you become legally liable for in relation to accidental bodily injury, death, disease or accidental damage to any person or accidental damage to third party property which arises from your use or ownership of your pedal cycle.
- Covered anywhere within Ireland.
- Instant cover is available – provided that you have purchased the bicycle within the last 30 days. If the bicycle is more than 30 days old then a 30 day exclusion period will be in place which means that if your pedal cycle is stolen, damaged or breaks down; you will not be able to claim during this period.
- 14 day cooling off period - meaning if you decide for any reason that the policy does not meet your requirements within 14 days. We offer a full refund of your premium guarantee if you decide to cancel provided no claim has been made or pending.
To start the claims process, please call our claims team on 01 8022220 and select Option 2 (UK General Home Claims). You must:
- Notify the claims agent via telephone as soon as possible but in any event no later than 28 days after any incident likely to give rise to a claims under this insurance;
- Report the theft of any bicycle to the police/gardai within 24 hours of discovery and obtain a crime reference number in support of your claim;
- Provide us with receipts for any approved locks in support of any theft claim or if the receipt is not available to you must provide the remains of the damaged approved lock.
- Provide us with details of the claim and any other contract, guarantee, warranty or insurance that may apply to the damage including but not limited to household insurance. Where appropriate a rateable proportion of the claim may be recovered direct from these insurers.
- If we replace your bicycle the damaged or stolen item becomes ours. If it is returned or found you must notify us and send it to us if we ask you to. To help us improve our service we may record or monitor telephone calls. UK General Insurance Ltd are an insurers agent and in the matters of a claim act on behalf of the insurer.
- Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents Tab.
What Is Not Insured
Your bicycle is not covered for:
- From any motor vehicle where you or someone acting on your behalf is not in the vehicle, unless the bicycle had been stored out of sight, the vehicle’s windows and doors closed and locked, and all security systems have been activated.
- From any convertible or soft top vehicle where the roof is not securely in place.
- If left on any motor vehicle roof, bonnet or boot unless you or someone acting on your behalf is inside the vehicle.
- From any building, land or premises unless violence and force, resulting in damage to the building or premises, was used to gain entry or exit.
- By a person or persons to whom the bicycle has been entrusted unless that person or persons belong to your immediate family.
- If the bicycle has been left away from your insured location for more than 12 hours at any one time.
- Where the bicycle has been left unattended when it is away from the insured location unless it has been locked to an immovable object with an approved lock.
- Where precautions against theft have not been taken.
- Damage caused by:
- You or your immediate family deliberately damaging or neglecting the bicycle.
- You not following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Routine servicing, inspection, maintenance or cleaning.
- The use of accessories.
- Repair or other costs for:
- Routine servicing, inspection, maintenance or cleaning.
- Repairs carried out by persons not authorised by us.
- Wear and tear or gradual deterioration of performance.
- Any kind of damage whatsoever—unless the damaged bicycle is provided for repair.
- Any expense incurred as a result of not being able to use the bicycle.
- Damage to accessories of any kind—unless fitted to your bicycle at the time of the incident.
- War risk:
- Terrorism, war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities whether war is declared or not, civil war, rebellion insurrection, military or usurped power, confiscation, nationalism or requisitions or destruction or damaged to property by or under the order of any government or public or legal authority.
- Nuclear Risk—Damage or destruction caused by, contributed to or arising from:
- Ionizing radiation or contamination by radio activity from any nuclear fuel or form any nuclear waste; or
- The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or component thereof.
- Sonic Boom—Damage or destruction directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
- Any other costs—that are directly or indirectly caused by the events which led to your claim unless specifically stated in this policy.
- Liability—of whatsoever nature arising from ownership or use of the bicycle, including any illness or injury resulting from it.
- Value Added Tax (VAT)—where you are a business that is registered with HM Revenue and Customs for VAT and can claim the VAT back.
- Delay, confiscation, nationalisation or detention by Customs or other government or public authority.
- Depreciation of any kind.
- Public Liability:
- Public liability benefits unless you or any specified individual member of your family named on your policy schedule have paid the required additional premium.
- Any claim when you are under 16 or over 65.
- An excess of €250 for each and every claim arising from damage to third party property.
- An excess of €500 for each and every claim arising from third party injury.
- Liability arising from loss or damage to property which belongs to you or is in your care custody or control.
- Any claim where you are entitled to indemnity from another source.
- Any claim when punitive, exemplary or aggravated damages are awarded against you.
- Any liability for bodily injury, loss of damage:
- To your employees or members of your family or household or to their property.
- Arising out of the ownership, possession, use of occupation of land or buildings.
- Arising out of the ownership, possession or use of motorised vehicles, yachts or motorised waterborne craft, airborne craft of any description, animals or firearms and weapons.
- Any liability not involving the use of the cycle.
- Using the cycle professionally or for any trade/business except commuting to and from work.
Your Duty of Care
You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.
If you purchase pedal cycle insurance from Cover4Insurance, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule and policy wording document. You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.
We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Policy Wording so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.
How to view the policy documents
The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website.
To view your documents, please click on the links below:
Is there an excess on the policy?
Yes, for accidental damage, theft or breakdown claims the excess is the first 10% of the maximum cover limit for your bicycle, with a minimum excess of €25.
For Public liability claims the excess is an excess of €250 for each claim arising from damaged to third party property and an excess of €500 for each and every claim arising from third party injury.
My pedal cycle is worth more than €3,000 can I get still get insurance?
No, unfortunately the maximum cover we can offer is €3,000.
Is cover on a new for old basis?
If your pedal cycle is under 2 years old from the date of manufacture then Yes. If however your pedal cycle is over 2 years old then No, we will deduct 10% of the original purchase price for the bicycle, for each year or part year from the date of manufacture for wear and tear.
What does pedal cycle insurance cover?
Covers your pedal cycle anywhere with Ireland for accidental damage, theft, breakdown of the insured bike plus public liability cover for injury you may cause to any person or damage to a third party property whist you use you bike.
My pedal cycle is over 12 months old can this be covered?
Yes, there is no age limit on our policy – but if you have owned the pedal cycle for more than 30 days before the start date of this insurance, cover will exclude any incident for theft, accidental damage or breakdown , giving rise to a claim, for the first 30 days from the policy start date.
Are there any lock specific lock requirements on the policy?
Yes, it is a requirement of this insurance policy that your pedal cycle is secured to an immovable object, when it is left unattended away from the insured address by an approved Sold Secure cycle lock.
- Bronze rated lock required for pedal cycles up to the value of €500
- Silver rated lock required for pedal cycles up to the value of €1,000
- Gold rated lock required for pedal cycles valued over €1,000
I have a lock that is not included on the Sold Secure list – what should I do?
All locks on the sold secure list have been tested and we are confident offer the best level of defence for your bicycle against theft. We would advise that you buy one of those locks and use your current lock as a secondary defence. If you feel that your current lock offers the same or better level of protection than the recommended sold secure lock. Then please email our customer services team (email@example.com) with your lock details and value of the bicycle you wish to insure.
Does the policy cover my pedal cycle outside Ireland?
Under this product we cannot cover your pedal cycle outside of the Republic of Ireland.
If you are based in the United Kingdom we do have a separate pedal cycle insurance product that can cover you in UK please click here for more information.
Does the policy cover me for third party liability?
Yes, this product cover you up to €1million for amounts which you become legally liable – in relation to accidental bodily injury, death, disease or accidental damage to any person or accidental damage to third party property which arises from your use or ownership of the pedal cycle.
What is Third Party Liability cover?
This is cover for amounts that you become legally liable for which arise out of the use or ownership of your pedal cycle. Examples of this would be if you injured another person or damaged there car or pedal cycle.
Lock requirements / pedal cycle types
Before you take out our pedal cycle insurance, you need to make sure that you have the right sold secure rating lock. You can check the security of your bike lock by searching for it through Sold Secure.
- For bikes up to the value of €500 you would require a bronze rated lock
- For bikes up to the value of €1,000 you would require a silver rated lock
- For bikes valued over €1,000 you would require a gold rated lock
What type of bicycles do you cover?
|BMX bikes||Carbon fibre bikes||Children’s bikes||Cruisers||Disability modified-bikes|
|Electric bikes||Folding bikes||Hybrids and comfort bikes||Lightweight high-performance bikes||Mountain bikes|
|Power Assisted Bikes||Road bikes||Tandem bikes||Titanium bikes||Touring Bikes|
How to find your frame number
These are the most common places to find the pedal cycle's frame number; you should also have the number on the sales documentation you received when the bicycle was purchased.
- Under the crank at the bottom of the bicycle.
- At the front of bicycle under the handlebars.
- Under the saddle on the seat upright tube.