Backpacker–Gap Year–Long Stay Travel Insurance
Our backpacker Travel Insurance cover allows you to travel up to 18 months wherever you are travelling in the world, making it an ideal product for backpackers and Gap Year travellers.
You should look at our Backpacker / Long Stay insurance product which can cover you for:
- Up to 18 months away.
- Add cover for your Gadgets - Up to £1,500.
- With nearly 150 sports & activities covered as standard and optional cover for the more hazardous sports and activities.
- Emergency Medical Expenses up to £5 million: Cover for emergency medical treatment and additional expenses, repatriation and the services of a medical assistance company, outside your home country - 24hrs a day 365 days per year.
- Cancellation & Curtailment up to £3,500: Cover for any non-refundable unused travel and accommodation costs if you have to cancel or cut a trip short due to certain reasons specified in the policy.
- Baggage up to £2,500: Cover for items that are usually carried or worn during a trip if they are lost, stolen or damaged.
- Personal Money up to £500: Cover for cash or money carried on your or left in a safety deposit box is lost, stolen or damaged.
- Loss of Passport up to £250: Cover for additional travel and accommodation expenses necessarily incurred to obtain a replacement passport or travel documents whilst on your trip if your passport or travel documents are lost or stolen during your trip.
- Legal Protection up to £25,000: Cover if you need to make a claim for compensation due to your death, illness or personal injury.
- Gadget Cover up to £1,500 - We will pay up to £1,500 for the intrinsic value or cost of repair of your gadgets, including laptops, tablet computers and mobile phones, which is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed whilst you are away on your trip.
- Unauthorised calls if your mobile phone is stolen up to £10,000.00.
- We can cover the following gadgets: Laptops, Mobile phones, iPhones, iPads, Tablets, Smartwatches and Go Pro’s.
- Excess Waiver.
- Study Abroad.
- Sports and Activities (Hazardous Activities): It is important to make sure that you have travel insurance cover for any sports or activities you intend to take part in whilst you are away. We provide cover for 148 activities as standard; with the option to add more sports and activities.
WHY CHOOSE COVER4INSURANCE?
Instant Cover: Online purchasing means you can get cover instantly. (Please note cover cannot be purchased if you have already departed the UK).
Full Refund Guarantee: If after reading your policy you decide the terms of the insurance do not meet your requirements you will have 14 days to cancel it, starting on the day you receive your documentation. Provided that a claim does not exist and that travel has not taken place.
Tailor your cover: We offer options to extend your cover to include: Phone, tablets and other gagdets. Plus you can add on additional Hazardous Sports & activities to the 25 sports and activities automatically covered.
Secure Online Purchase: The security of your personal and financial details is of paramount importance to us and as such, we use the strongest available security system to protect your personal information.
How do I make a claim?
For claims for policies purchased after 27/03/2023:
If something’s gone wrong and you need to make a claim, don’t worry — we’ve tried to make it as simple as possible.
We have appointed AIG Travel Guard to look after claims.
You can find full details of the claims procedure on page 12 of the Policy Wording Document.
Please also pay particular attention to ‘if you need to make a claim’ under each section of cover.
For all Sections other than Gadget cover
You can obtain a claim form by the following:
Online at: .policyholderclaims.co.uk
In writing to:
Longstay & Backpacker Claims Team
AIG Travel Guard
2-8 Altyre Road, Croydon CR9 2LG
Telephone: 01273 741 002 (open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm)
Notifying us of any claims
In the unfortunate event that you need to make a claim, you should contact Davies Group, the claims administrator for Gadget Cover. Please contact them as soon as reasonably possible (but ideally within 48 hours) from the discovery of the incident (or in the event of an incident occurring outside of the United Kingdom, on returning to the United Kingdom)
Alternatively, you can start your claim by emailing or calling the claims team:
Call 0330 102 8698. If you are phoning from abroad: + 44 (0) 330 102 8698. The line is open from 8:30am to 6:30pm Monday to Friday. Closed Bank Holidays.
For claims for policies purchased before 27/03/2023:
If you require a claim form, please download it here: Claim Form .
Alternatively, please advise the section of the insurance on which you want to claim and master policy number and policy reference to:
Travel Claims Team, 3rd Floor, Fitzalan House, Fitzalan Court, Cardiff CF24 0EL. Telephone: +44 (0)2920 474 138
You need to:
- produce your insurance certificate confirming you are insured before a claim is admitted.
- give us full details in writing of any incident that may result in a claim under any section of the policy at the earliest possible time.
- provide all necessary information and assistance we may require at your own expense (including where necessary medical certification and details of your National Health number or equivalent and Private Health Insurance).
- pass any and all correspondence relating to outstanding medical bills to us with your claim form, or if received afterwards, send them on to us quoting your claim reference number.
- pass on to us immediately every writ, summons, legal process or other communication in connection with the claim.
- provide full details of any House Contents and All Risks insurance policies you may have.
- ensure that all claims are notified within 3 months of the incident occurring.
- not abandon any property to us or the claims office.
- not admit liability for any event or offering to make any payment without our prior written consent.
- make your policy void where a false declaration is made, or any claim is found to be fraudulent.
- take over and deal with, in your name, the defence/settlement of any claim made under the policy.
- subrogate against the responsible party and take proceedings in your name but at our expense to recover for our benefit the amount of any payment made under the policy.
- obtain information from your medical records (with your permission) for the purpose of dealing with any medical claims. No personal information will be disclosed to any outside person or organisation without your prior approval.
- only make claims payments by electronic BACS transfer, unless otherwise agreed by us.
- pay a maximum of £80 for medical records/completion of a medical certificate
- cancel all benefits provided by this policy without refund of premium when a payment has been made for cancellation or curtailment of the trip.
- not make any payment for any event that is covered by another insurance policy.
- only pay a proportionate amount of the claim where there is other insurance in force covering the same risk and to require details of such other insurance.
- settle all claims under the law of the country that you live in within the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man unless we agree otherwise with you.
- submit any disputes arising out of this contract to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the country that you live in within the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man
Your Important Information
24 hr Medical & Emergency Assistance
If you need emergency medical assistance abroad or need to cut short your trip contact our 24-hour emergency advice line on
Tel: +44 (0) 2920 474133
24 Hours a day, 365 days a year.
Note: You must retain receipts for medical & additional costs incurred.
If You Need To Access A Claim Form
You can download the relevant form: Claims Form .
or contact the claims department by phone:
Tel: +44 (0)2920 474138
If You Need Legal Advice:
contact Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP on:
Tel: +44 (0)1483 411 499
If You Need To Talk To Customer Service & Sales:
Tel: 0330 024 9295