Pedal Cycle Insurance
Our Bicycle Insurance will provide you with cover for theft and accidental damage or breakdown of your pedal cycle plus public liability cover while you use your pedal cycle – allowing you to go out and enjoy areas like the Cornish Way knowing that you are covered if the worse happens.
We aim to provide straight-forward insurance products at affordable prices. Whether you use your pedal cycle to commute to work, shop or as a leisure activity; our insurance product is designed with you in mind.
Our policy features include:
- Pedal cycle cover up to £3,000 in total – which can be 1 bike or multiple bikes.
- Accidental damage – Covers you for damage to your bicycle as a result of an accident.
- Theft – If your bicycle is stolen we will replace it. Where only part or parts of your bicycle have been stolen, we will only replace that part or parts.
- Breakdown – If your bicycle breaks down due to mechanical failure outside of the manufacturer’s guarantee period we will repair it.
- Public liability up to £1,000,000 – Cover for amounts you become legally liable for in relation to accidental bodily injury, death, disease or accidental damage to any person or accidental damage to third party property which arises from your use or ownership of the pedal cycle.
- Covered anywhere within the UK.
- Instant cover is available.
- 14 day cooling off period - meaning if you decide for any reason that the policy does not meet your requirements within 14 days. We offer a full refund of your premium guarantee if you decide to cancel provided no claim has been made or pending.
Types of bicycles covered by this insurance are:
|BMX bikes||Electric bikes||Power Assisted Bikes|
|Carbon fibre bikes||Folding bikes||Road bike|
|Children’s bikes||Hybrids and comfort bikes||Tandem bikes|
|Cruisers||Lightweight high-performance bikes||Titanium bikes|
|Disability modified-bikes||Mountain bikes||Touring bikes|
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents Tab.
What Is Not Insured
Your bicycle is not covered for:
- From any motor vehicle where you or someone acting on your behalf is not in the vehicle, unless the bicycle had been stored out of sight, the vehicle’s windows and doors closed and locked, and all security systems have been activated.
- From any convertible or soft top vehicle where the roof is not securely in place.
- If left on any motor vehicle roof, bonnet or boot unless you or someone acting on your behalf is inside the vehicle.
- From any building, land or premises unless violence and force, resulting in damage to the building or premises, was used to gain entry or exit.
- By a person or persons to whom the bicycle has been entrusted unless that person or persons belong to your immediate family.
- If the bicycle has been left away from your insured location for more than 12 hours at any one time.
- Where the bicycle has been left unattended when it is away from the insured location unless it has been locked to an immovable object with an approved lock.
- Where precautions against theft have not been taken.
- Damage caused by:
- You or your immediate family deliberately damaging or neglecting the bicycle.
- You not following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Routine servicing, inspection, maintenance or cleaning.
- The use of accessories.
- Repair or other costs for:
- Routine servicing, inspection, maintenance or cleaning.
- Repairs carried out by persons not authorised by us.
- Wear and tear or gradual deterioration of performance.
- Any kind of damage whatsoever—unless the damaged bicycle is provided for repair.
- Any expense incurred as a result of not being able to use the bicycle.
- Damage to accessories of any kind—unless fitted to your bicycle at the time of the incident.
- War risk:
- Terrorism, war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities whether war is declared or not, civil war, rebellion insurrection, military or usurped power, confiscation, nationalism or requisitions or destruction or damaged to property by or under the order of any government or public or legal authority.
- Nuclear Risk:
- Damage or destruction caused by, contributed to or arising from:
- Ionizing radiation or contamination by radio activity from any nuclear fuel or form any nuclear waste or
- The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or component thereof.
- Sonic Boom:
- Damage or destruction directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
- Any other costs - that are directly or indirectly caused by the events which led to your claim unless specifically stated in this policy.
- Liability - of whatsoever nature arising from ownership or use of the bicycle, including any illness or injury resulting from it.
- Value Added Tax (VAT)—where you are a business that is registered with HM Revenue and Customs for VAT and can claim the VAT back.
- Delay, confiscation, nationalisation or detention by Customs or other government or public authority.
- Depreciation of any kind.
- Public Liability:
- Public liability benefits unless you or any specified individual member of your family named on your policy schedule have paid the required additional premium.
- Any claim when you are under 16 or over 65.
- An excess of £250 for each and every claim arising from damage to third party property.
- An excess of £500 for each and every claim arising from third party injury.
- Liability arising from loss or damage to property which belongs to you or is in your care custody or control.
- Any claim where you are entitled to indemnity from another source.
- Any claim when punitive, exemplary or aggravated damages are awarded against you.
- Any liability for bodily injury, loss of damage:
- To your employees or members of your family or household or to their property.
- Arising out of the ownership, possession, use of occupation of land or buildings.
- Arising out of the ownership, possession or use of motorised vehicles, yachts or motorised waterborne craft, airborne craft of any description, animals or firearms and weapons.
- Any liability not involving the use of the cycle.
- Using the cycle professionally or for any trade/business except commuting to and from work.
If you purchase pedal cycle insurance from Cover4Insurance, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule and policy wording document. You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.
We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Policy Wording so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.
The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.
To view your documents, please click on the link below.
To start the claims process, please complete the Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.
Fill out the online claims form here: Claims Form
Phone: 0161 974 1101
Cover4students Claims Team, Stream Claim Solutions,
60 Spring Gardens, Manchester, M2 2BQ.
If you have a valid claim please complete our online claim form listed above and return it along with:
- Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
- Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.
All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.
In some cases we may arrange either for a member of our staff or an independent chartered loss adjuster to discuss your claim with you. This is not always necessary but when it is we will advise you of the name and address of the loss adjuster and monitor progress of the claim for you.
Please don’t worry if we arrange for a loss adjuster or member of staff to visit you. It is a normal claims procedure and aims to speed up consideration of claims.
Certain types of claims will be considered directly by the insurers if refereed to them by cover4students.com.
Locks and bolts
There are many different products on the market and price is not necessarily a reliable indicator of quality and resistance to attack by thieves.
You should look for products that have been tested against attack. Look on the packaging and also ask your retailer for advice.
- To guard against the opportunist thief you need a product that has resisted attack for one minute.
- To guard against the determined thief you need a product that has resisted attached for three minutes.
- To guard against the dedicated thief you need a product that has resisted attack for five minutes.
- Don't leave your pedal cycle in isolated places.
- Always lock your pedal cycle when you leave it, even if it is only for a minute while you pop into the local shop.
- Lock your bicycle through the frame.
- Lock the wheels and other detachable parts.
- Remove smaller parts which cannot be secured and take them with you when you can, especially lights and quick release items.
- Where possible lock it to a fence, tree or railing.