0161 772 3382

Disabled Students Allowance

Insurance For Students Eligible For Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

If you are a student on a higher education course in England and are eligible for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA), we can offer a range of insurance covers to provide peace of mind and assist with your studies.

Click here to apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

Benefits Include:

  • Zero excess for computer equipment.
  • Single article limits are doubled for students with Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).
  • Computer equipment up to to £3,500 as standard (£7,000 on referral).
  • Computer equipment not restricted to the desktop/laptop — can include items such as:
    • Text-to-speech software.
    • Digital voice recorder.
    • Note-taking software.
    • Note-taking hardware.
  • Course fees & rental protection cover:

    If you are eligible for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA); the course fees and rent protection cover, has been extended it to include, pro-rata reimbursement of:
    • Specialist Equipment Allowance — up to the sum shown in your schedule.
    • Non Medical Helpers Allowance — up to the sum shown in your schedule.
    • General Allowances — up to the sum shown in your schedule.

Eligibility For Disabled Students Allowance (DSA):

  • Course And Institution Eligibility

    You have to be on a full-time or part-time undergraduate course (degree, H.N.D. level or Foundation Degree). You may also qualify if you are on some full-time or part-time postgraduate course which requires a degree  or similar qualification. Visit direct.gov for further information.

  • Evidence Of Disability

    You have to be able to prove that you have a disability, medical condition, sensory impairment, mental-health condition or a specific learning difficulty which affects your ability to study. This can be in the form of either a Doctor's Note or Diagnostic Report.

  • You cannot receive Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)  if you are:

    • receiving support equivalent to Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) from another funding provider
    • an EU student
    • undertaking a full year, paid work placement as part of a sandwich-course.

Please Note: You cannot get Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) for more than one course at the same time.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) Needs Assessment:

  • If you qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowance you will need to have a DSA Needs Assessment to decide on the support you will need on your course.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) Entitlement Letter:

  • Your DSA Funding Provider will send you a letter to tell you what Assistive Technology and other Specialist Support they will pay for from the Disabled Students’ Allowance.

What does the Department for Education and Skills say about insuring Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) equipment?

  • Paragraph 26 from the DfES Guidance to Local Authorities states:
It would be reasonable for any insurance or extended warranty costs and for any repair and modification costs arising from the ownership of such equipment purchased under the DSA to be set against this allowance. Where students do not take out insurance and equipment is stolen, any replacement of the equipment is at the students’ expense. The cost of replacement equipment should not be met by the DSA in such circumstances. Therefore, LEAs are advised to recommend to students that insurance cover is taken out for their DSA equipment. The insurance premiums can be paid from the DSA.

Site direct.gov

Policy Features

With our insurance for students the basic cover provides students with essential protection such as:

Policy Benefit
Sum Insured
Personal Possessions
Up To £14,000
Desktop Computer Equipment
Item Limits Apply
Landlords Property | Tenants Liability
Up To £5,000
Liability For Rented Household Goods
Item Limits Apply
Replacement Locks and Keys
Up To £50
Credit Cards
Up To £500
Personal Money
Up To £50
College | University Property On Loan
Up To £250
Accidental Death or Redundancy Of A Parent Or Guardian
Up To £5,000
Legal Liability
Up To £1,000,000
Possessions In Transit at the beginning and end of each term

A range of optional extensions can be selected to suit your specific student contents insurance requirements please click the “Optional Extensions” tab to see the options available

Optional Extensions

We provide a range of optional extras so that you can choose the student contents insurance covers that you require.

Helping you tailor the student contents insurance to meet your needs and saving you money by only paying for you require.


Policy Benefit
Sum Insured
 Laptop & Portable Computers | Room Only: Cover
Within The Insured Address
Up To £3,500
Laptop & Portable Computers | Cover Anywhere
Within The UK
Up To £3,500
Accidental Damage
Item Limits Apply
Accidental Damage To Landlords Property | Tenants Liability
Up To £10,000
Course Fees & Rental Protection
Up To £20,000
Mobile Phones | Cover Anywhere Within The UK(Please note:
The mobile phone can be bought in any country however it has to have a UK SIM card.
Up To £1,500
Pedal Cycle | Cover Anywhere Within The UK (Within Europe
For Up To 60 days)
Up To £3,000
Photographic Equipment| Cover Anywhere Within The UK
Up To £5,000
Musical Instruments | Cover Anywhere Within The UK
Up To £3,000
Personal Accident & Criminal Assault
Up To £50,000
Vacation Cover
Legal Expenses
Digital Download
Examination & Coursework Cover
Excess Protection Cover
International Student Repatriation Cover


It’s important that you read the Student Contents Insurance Policy Documents to make sure you understand exactly what’s covered, with our student contents & possessions insurance policy.

You can find out more about Students Contents Insurance in the documents below which you will also receive when you purchase our tenants insurance.

How to view the policy documents

The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.

To view your documents, please click on the links below.

Policies Purchased after 01/03/2021
Policies Purchased up to 01/03/2021
Adobe PDF Policy Wording
Purchased after the 01/03/2021
 Claims Form Policy Wording Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy Wording
Purchased before the 01/03/2021
Adobe PDF Policy IPID Policy IPID Adobe PDF
Insurance Product Information Document.


For all claims except Legal Expenses claims:

Please fill in a claims form:  Claims Form

Cover4students.com will deal with all claims. You must refer all correspondence and telephone enquiries to cover4students.com at the following address:

Cover4students Claims Team,

Stream Claims Services,

Copthall House,

King Street,

Newcastle under Lyme,

ST5 1EL.

Telephone: 0161 974 1101

Check your student's contents insurance policy to ensure that the cause of the loss or damage is covered. Your schedule will show which cover sections are operative.

Please include the following details:

  • Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
  • Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.

All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.

For all Legal Expenses claims:

Legal Claims Notification & Advice Helpline Service: - 01384 887575

We will not accept responsibility if the Claims Notification and Advice Helpline Services fail for reasons beyond our control.

We have updated our Cookie Policy and our Privacy policy. Cookies are used to ensure we provide the best customer experience. Continued use of this website assumes your acceptance of these policies.