If you're living in halls of residence provided through the University of Southampton there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes, sports equipment and frozen food. This insurance has been arranged by the University of Southampton with Cover4Students.
You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.
You may find that you need more cover than is already arranged by the University of Southampton. Don't worry – there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available.
For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet or you may wish to add Mobile Phone Insurance (as Mobiles are excluded from the basic cover).
How Much Am I Insured For?
Your personal possessions are insured whilst inside your accommodation for up to £7,000 in total. In addition a further £2,000 cover is provided for computer equipment (including laptops) within your accommodation. If you are registered as being disabled, possessions cover is increased to £8,500 and computer equipment is increased to £4,000.
- Personal possessions – up to £7,000 in total.
- Computer equipment – up to £2,000 in total.
- Damage to clothing - up to £300, following mechanical failure of laundry equipment.
- Landlord’s property – up to £10,000, for theft or fire damage.
- In direct transit at the beginning and end of each university term – up to £7,000 in total.
- In university designated storage during vacations – up to £7,000 for theft from forcible entry.
- In university and student union buildings – up to £500 for theft from forcible entry.
- University property on loan and library books – up to £750 in total.
- Replacement locks & keys – up to £500, following damage resulting from burglary.
- Rented household goods – up to £1,250 in total.
- Personal money – up to £100, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Credit / debit card fraud – up to £500 for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Personal accident – up to £50,000, on a scale of benefits.
- Accidental death or redundancy of a parent or guardian – up to £15,000.
- Legal liability – up to £2,000,000 for injury to others or damage to their property.
- Food spoilage – up to £75, following mechanical failure of fridge/freezer.
- Mobile phone – up to £600, for theft from your room, following forcible entry.
- Loss of keys- up to £500.
- Exam and coursework cover – up to £1,000.
- Contact lenses – up to £150.
- Musical instruments – up to £1,000, for theft following forcible entry.
Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university).
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents / Claims tab.
What Is Not Insured:
- The policy excess:
- Personal money / credit cards excess: £25
- Mobile phones excess: £75
- Laptops & portable computers excess: £50
- Food spoilage excess: £10
- Excess for all other sections: £35
- Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of each term).
- Pedal cycles (unless basic cover is extended
- Cover outside of the insured accommodation (unless basic cover is extended).
Maximum Amounts Payable:
The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.
- Personal possessions single item limit – £1,250.
- Computer equipment – up to £2,000 in total.
- Computer equipment – up to £4,000 in total, if you are registered as disabled.
- Musical instruments – up to £1,000 in total.
- Sports Equipment – up to £1,000 in total.
- Clothing – up to £300 per item.
- Jewellery, watches and other valuables – up to £500 per item.
- Electrical, Hi-fi, audio and photographic equipment including tvs, DVD players, playstations, cameras and similar items single item limit – £500.
Your Duty of Care
You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.
The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.
To view your documents, please click on the links below.
|Policies For The Year: 2017—18||Policies For The Year: 2016—17|
|Master Policy Schedule (227KB)||(220KB) Master Policy Schedule|
|Policy Wording (979KB)||(978KB) Policy Wording|
|Policy Summary (187KB)||(280KB) Policy Summary|
How to Claim– Full details of how to make a claim can be found in your policy wording. To start the claims process, please complete the UK Claims Form provided below.
Download a Claims Form:
Call our Claims Department:
You can contact our claims department directly on 0142 223 8530 to register your claim. Or once you've submitted your claims form, if you have any queries or would like an claim update.
Before submitting your form please read your policy schedule to make sure you have a valid claim and you're covered. You can send your completed form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or in the post:
Direct Group Property Nexus,
PO Box 800,
Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you; Mobile Phones, Cameras, Watches, Jewellery etc outside your accommodation which are not covered under your existing basic policy. The additional cover options available are listed below:
|Policy Benefit||Included||Upgrade up to|
|Course Fees and Rent Cover||No||£20,000|
|Mobile Phones | Anywhere within the UK||No||£500|
|Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UK||No||£500|
|Orchestral Instruments | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or when your Master Policy expires, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the Master Policy.
Why Extend My Cover?
In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:
- Are your total possessions worth more than £7,000 (excluding computer equipment)?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £10,000 by selecting the personal possessions top up.
- Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation, (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)?
If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
- For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
- For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £1,000 in total with a single item limit of £250.
- Is your computer equipment worth more than £2,000?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £3,000 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
- Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £500.
- Is your pedal cycle worth more than £500?
If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product. To get a quote or for more information please click here.
- Do you require cover for your mobile phone outside your accommodation?
If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £500.
- Is your mobile phone worth more than £500?
If yes, we can cover your mobile phone, including iPhone,Blackberry and Smart-phones up to £1,000 for theft or accidental damage, via our separate standalone mobile phone product. Please click here.
- Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.
It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.
Not In Halls?
If you are a student at the University of Southampton but won't be living in accommodation managed by them this year, you won't be covered by this scheme.
However, we're offering a 10% off our Student Possessions Insurance for University of Southampton students who are living in private accommodation. Just click on the link below where the 10% discount will be applied:
If you're a former University of Southampton student or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically: