Student Pedal Cycle Insurance
As a student your pedal cycle may be your main means of transport, as it is often the cheapest method. As a specialist student insurer we understand that and have developed our pedal cycle insurance with you in mind. We cover most types of pedal cycles such as road bikes, hybrid bikes mountain bikes or a bmx’s.
Why Choose Us:
- Specialist Student Insurance
- New for Old cover
- Cover up to £3,000 anywhere within the UK
- Cover within Europe for up to 45 Days
- Instant cover available – no waiting period
- No specialist lock requirements
If you purchase student pedal cycle insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and policy summary documents.
You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.
We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Policy Wording and Policy Summary documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.
How to view the policy documents
The insurance for students policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the
Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.To view your documents, please click on the links below:
|Policies Purchased after 01/08/2018||Policies Purchased up to 01/08/2017|
|Policy Wording||Claims Form||Policy Wording|
|Policy IPID†||Policy Summary|
To start the claims process, please complete the Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.
Fill out the online claims form here: Claims Form
Phone: 0161 974 1101
Cover4students Claims Team,
Stream Claim Solutions,
60 Spring Gardens,
If you have a valid claim please complete our online claim form listed above and return it along with:
- Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
- Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.
All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.
In some cases we may arrange either for a member of our staff or an independent chartered loss adjuster to discuss your claim with you. This is not always necessary but when it is we will advise you of the name and address of the loss adjuster and monitor progress of the claim for you.
Please don’t worry if we arrange for a loss adjuster or member of staff to visit you. It is a normal claims procedure and aims to speed up consideration of claims.
Certain types of claims will be considered directly by the insurers if refereed to them by cover4students.com
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents Tab.
What Is Not Insured:
- The first £25 of any claim if your pedal cycle is valued at £999 or less.
- The first £10%, of the value of the bicycle, of any claim if your pedal cycle is valued £1,000 or over.
- Any amount above the sum insured stated in your schedule for pedal cycles.
- Pedal cycle accessories unless the pedal cycle is stolen or damaged at the same time.
- Theft form unattended motor vehicles
- Any theft not reported to the police within 24 hours of the incident and being recorded as a theft and allocated a crime reference number.
- Accidental loss.
- Damage caused by anything, which happens gradually.
- Damage caused by wear and tear, damp, vermin, fungus, cleaning, altering or repairing, restoration, mechanical or electrical breakdown, loss of value.
- Loss or damage whilst the pedal cycle is being used for racing, competitions, professionally or for any trade purposes.
- Theft of any unattended pedal cycle unless in a building or securely locked to a permanent fixture through the frame of the pedal cycle.
- Loss or damage caused if your pedal cycle is left outside of a locked building for a period of 24 hours or more unless stored in a designated cycle storage on campus for not more than 30 days.
- Any loss or damage caused to the pedal cycle in transit unless:
- It is transported by recognised transport firm and a receipt obtained for the journey, or
- It is transported on public transport where you accompany it on the same journey.
- Customs or other official body confiscating your belongings.
- Loss or damage caused by pets.
Your Duty of Care
You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.
My pedal cycle is worth more than £1,000 can I get still get insurance?
Yes, we offer a specialist pedal cycle insurance cover, up to £3,000.
Is cover on a new for old basis?
Yes, we replace items where necessary on a new for old basis.
What does pedal cycle insurance cover?
Covers your pedal cycle for accidental damage or theft occurring anywhere within the UK.
My pedal cycle is over 12 months old can this be covered?
Yes, there is no age limit on our policy. Please note that items are replaced on a new for old basis so if a claim does happen it will be replaced like for like with a similar item which is determined by your current items specification.
Am I covered for ‘Walk in Theft’ for my pedal cycle?
Yes, there is no requirement on the policy for forcible and violent entry or exit to the property. You would however need to report the theft to the police and gain a crime reference number.
What does ‘Walk in Theft’ cover mean’?
This basically means that there doesn’t need to be a physical break-in to the property. As we are a specialist student insurer we understand that students often live in shared accommodation and we take into this into account. For example – say somebody comes back to your property with one of your flat mates, this person then enters your room and steals your pedal cycle and as long as you report the incident to the police then you are still covered.
Please note that you do still have a duty of care requirement under the policy (you must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent loss) with this in mind you should close windows and lock main entry and exit doors when you leave the property.
Does the policy cover my pedal cycle outside of the property?
Yes, you are automatically covered for your pedal cycle anywhere within the United Kingdom.
Does the policy cover my pedal cycle outside UK?
Under this product we cannot cover your pedal cycle outside of the UK. If you are based in the Republic of Ireland we do have a separate pedal cycle insurance product that can cover you in Ireland please click here for more information.
I am a student in Ireland can I get pedal cycle insurance?
If you are based in the Republic of Ireland we do have a separate pedal cycle insurance product that can cover you please click here for more information.
Does the policy cover me for third party liability?
Yes, public liability up to £1,000,000 — cover for amounts you become legally liable for in relation to accidental bodily injury, death, disease or accidental damage to any person or accidental damage to third party property which arises from your use or ownership of the pedal cycle.
What is Third Party Liability cover?
This is cover for amounts that you become legally liable for which arise out of the use or ownership of your pedal cycle. Examples of this would be if you injured another person or damaged there car or pedal cycle.