Abodus student Living
If you're living in Abodus Student Living accommodation and have received a Cover4Student Leaflet in your welcome pack, there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us.
This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes and sports equipment. This insurance has been arranged by Abodus Student Living with Cover4Students.
You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.
You may find that you need more cover than is provided already. Don't worry - there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available. For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your student accommodation such as a laptop or tablet or you may wish to add Mobile Phone Insurance (as Mobiles are excluded from the basic cover).
Enter a free competition to win £500
How Much Am I Insured For?
Your possessions are insured inside of your accommodation for up to £7,000 in total. In addition a further £2,000 cover is provided for computer equipment within your accommodation.
What Is Covered:
- Personal possessions within the insured address — up to £7,000
- Personal possessions within the insured address if you are registered disabled — up to £10,000
- Replacement locks & keys — up to £350, following damage resulting from burglary.
- Food spoilage: failure of fridge /freezer — up to £75 following mechanical failure of fridge/freezer.
- Damage to clothing: failure of laundry equipment — up to £300
- Computer equipment | room only (including laptops and tablets) — up to £2,500 in total.
- Vacation cover — up to £7,000, for theft from forcible entry.
- (including total permanent disablement) — up to £50,000, on a scale of benefits.
- Credit cards — up to £500, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Personal money — up to £50, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- College / university property on loan (including library books — up to £750
- Landlords property - tenants liability — up to £5,000
- Accidental death or redundancy of a financially supporting parent or guardian — up to £5,000
- Legal liability — up to £1,000,000 for injury to others or damage to their property.
- Mobile phone | room only — up to £750 in total.
- Personal possessions from communal areas — up to £1,000
- Musical instruments | room only — up to £1,250 in total.
- Contact lenses — up to £150 in total.
Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university). You can view the optional extensions available to you by looking at 'Optional Extensions'.
We strongly recommend that you read the full terms contained in the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that govern your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents tab.
What Is Not Insured:
- The policy excess:
- Computer Equipment: The first £50 room only.
- Food spoilage: The first £10 of any loss.
- All other sections: The first £25 of any loss.
- Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of each term).
- Cover outside of your accommodation (unless basic cover is extended).
Maximum Amounts Payable:
The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.
- Possessions single item limit — £1,250.
- Clothing single item limit - £350.
- Computer equipment — up to £2,500 in total.
- Musical Instruments - up to £1,250 in total.
- Photographic equipment— up to £1,000 in total.
- Jewellery, watches and other valuables — up to £600 in total.
- Audio, DVD, Video and other data carrying media - up to £1,000 in total.
- Computer games, CDs, DVDs, Videos, Records - up to £1,000 in total.
- Sports equipment - up to £1,000 in total.
Your Duty of Care
You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.
If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents. You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid. We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.
How to view the policy documents
The policy documents are available as PDFs.
To view these documents you will need a PDF reader.
Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.
To view your documents, please click on the links below.
|Policies For The Year: 2018—19||Policies For The Year: 2017—18|
|Master Policy Schedule (203KB)||(220 KB) Master Policy Schedule|
| Policy Wording (494KB)|
Purchased before the 01/04/2019
|(1.01MB) Policy Wording|
| Policy Wording (546KB)|
Purchased after the 01/04/2019
|Policy Summary (212KB)||(611KB) Policy Summary|
To start the claims process, please complete the correct Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.
Fill out the online claims form here: Claims Form
Phone: 0161 974 1101
Cover4students Claims Team,
Stream Claim Solutions,
60 Spring Gardens,
If you have a valid claim, complete apropriate claim form and return it along with:
- Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
- Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.
All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.
Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you.
By offering a range of top ups you have the flexibility to chooses the covers that are most important to you, whether that is to add cover for a mobile phone or musical instruments or you just want cover for items outside your accommodation we have an option to suit you. The additional cover options available are listed below:
|Policy Benefit||Included||Upgrade up to|
|Course Fees and Rent Cover||No||£20,000|
|Mobile Phones | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Exam and Coursework Cover||No||£250|
|Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Excess Protection Insurance||No||£1,000|
|Photographic Equipment | Cover Anywhere Within The UK||No||£1,000|
|Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£4,000|
|Extra Covers For International Students|
|International Student Repatriation||No||Up To £5,000|
Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or when your Master Policy expires, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the Master Policy.
Not In Halls?
If you're a former Abodus Student Living resident or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically:
If you're a former University of Edinburgh student or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically: