Brunel, University of
If you're living in halls of residence provided through Brunel University there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your electrical goods, clothes, sports equipment and frozen food. This insurance has been arranged by Brunel University with Cover4Students.
You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.
You may find that you need more cover than is already arranged by Brunel University. Don't worry - there is a tab above listing the range of optional top up covers that are available. For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet or you may wish to add mobile phone insurance (as mobiles are excluded from the basic cover).
Please note: Laptops, Tablets and Portable Computers are not covered by this policy unless you extend your cover and add them under the Specified Items section.
Enter a free competition to win £500
How Much Am I Insured For?
Your possessions are insured whilst inside your accommodation for their full replacement value subject to a single item and group limit. A further £2,000 is provided to cover your desktop computer equipment (excluding laptops and tablets) within your accommodation.
- Personal possessions – to their full value subject to the single item/group limit.
- Desktop computer equipment – up to £2,000 in total.
- Landlord’s property – up to £5,000 for theft or fire damage.
- University property on loan – up to £500.
- Replacement locks & keys – up to £350, following damage resulting from burglary.
- Rented household goods – up to £1,250.
- Personal money – up to £50, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Credit/debit card fraud – up to £500, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Personal accident – up to £10,000, on a scale of benefits.
- Accidental death or redundancy of a financially supporting parent or guardian – up to £5,000.
- Legal liability – up to £1,000,000 for injury to others or their property.
- Food spoilage – up to £75, following mechanical failure of fridge/freezer.
- Damage to clothing - up to £300, following mechanical failure of laundry equipment.
- Mobile phone – up to £500, for theft following forcible entry.
- Musical instruments - up to £600, for theft following forcible entry.
- Contact lenses - up to £150, for theft following forcible entry.
- Personal possessions from communal areas - up to £1,000, for theft following forcible entry.
Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university). You can view these extensions in the 'Optional Extensions' tab above.
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from thePolicy Documents / Claims tab.
What Is Not Insured:
- The first £25 of any loss (except food spoilage where a £10 excess applies).
- Cover outside of your accommodation (unless basic cover is extended).
- Theft from vehicles (except when attended during transit at the beginning and end of each university term).
- Laptops, tablets and portable computers (unless basic cover is extended).
- Pedal cycles (unless basic cover is extended).
Maximum Amounts Payable:
The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.
- Personal possessions single item limit - £1,250.
- Desktop computer equipment – up to £2,000 in total.
- Musical instruments - up to £600.
- Sports equipment - up to £1,000 in total.
- Photographic equipment, video cameras and camcorders - up to £1,000 in total.
- Clothing single item limit - £350.
- Jewellery, watches and other valuables - up to £600 in total.
- Music, video, DVD, software and other data carrying media – up to £1,000 in total.
- Computer games, CDs, DVDs, videos and records - up to £600 in total.
Your Duty of Care
You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.
If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents.
You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.
We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.
How to view the policy documents
The policy documents are available as PDFs.
To view these documents you will need a PDF reader.
Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website, or visit Access Adobe for help.
To view your documents, please click on the links below.
|Policies For The Year: 2018—19||Policies For The Year: 2017—18|
|Master Policy Schedule (222KB)||(231KB) Master Policy Schedule|
| Policy Wording (494KB)|
Purchased before the 01/04/2019
|(1.12MB) Policy Wording|
| Policy Wording (546KB)|
Purchased after the 01/04/2019
|Policy IPID† (56KB)||(619KB) Policy Summary|
Full details of how to make a claim can be found in your policy wording. To start the claims process, please complete the UK Claims Form provided below.
Fill out the online claims form here: Claims form
You can contact the claims department on: 0161 974 1101
Before submitting your form please read your policy schedule to make sure you have a valid claim and you're covered. You can send your completed form in the post:
Cover4students Claims Team,
Stream Claim Solutions,
60 Spring Gardens,
Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you; Mobile Phones, Cameras, Watches, Jewellery etc outside your accommodation which are not covered under your existing basic policy.Please note: Laptops, Tablets and Portable Computers are not covered by this policy unless you extend your cover and add them under the Specified Items section.The additional cover options available are listed below:
|Policy Benefit||Included||Upgrade up to|
|Desktop Computer Equipment||£2,000||£4,000|
|Course Fees and Rent Cover||No||£20,000|
|Mobile Phones | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Exam and Coursework Cover||No||£250|
|Photographic Equipment | Cover Anywhere Within The UK||No||£1,000|
|Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Excess Protection Insurance||No||£1,000|
|Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Extra Covers For International Students|
|International Student Repatriation||No||Up To £5,000|
Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or when your Master Policy expires, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the Master Policy.
Why Extend My Cover?
In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:
- Do you require cover for your laptop/tablet/portable computer?
Laptops, tablets and portable computers are excluded from the basic insurance. If you need this cover, click 'Extend Your Students Contents Insurance Policy' and add cover for the item under the Specified Items section. This will then cover your laptop/tablet etc for accidental damage or theft anywhere in the UK.
- Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation? (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)
If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
- For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
- For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £4,000 in total with a single item limit of £500.
- Is your desktop computer equipment worth more than £2,000?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £4,000 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
- Do you require accidental damage cover?
Accidental damage cover is excluded from the standard cover.
An 'Accidental Damage' extension is available which will cover your 'Audio equipment, Desktop Computer Equipment, Games Consoles, Television, Video and DVD players against accidental damage whilst within the accommodation.
Please note that accidental damage cover is automatically included for the following items where a top up has been purchased:
- Mobile Phone
- Pedal Cycles
- Musical Instruments
- Photographic equipment
- Items listed under the "Specified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
- Items insured under the "Unspecified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
- Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
- Is your pedal cycle worth more than £1,000?
If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product.
To get a quote or for more information please click here.
- Do you require cover for your mobile phone outside your accommodation?
If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
- Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.
It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.
Not In Halls?
If you are a student at Brunel University but won't be living in accommodation managed by them this year, you won't be covered by this scheme.
However, we're offering a 10% off our Student Possessions Insurance for Brunel University students who are living in private accommodation. Just click on the link below where the 10% discount will be applied:
If you're a former Brunel University student or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically: