If you're living in a residence provided through Chapter there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes and sports equipment. This insurance has been arranged by Chapter with Cover4Students.
You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.
You may find that you need more cover than is already arranged by Chapter. Don't worry - there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available.
For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet or you may wish to add Mobile Phone Insurance outside your accommodation.
Enter a free competition to win £500
How Much Am I Insured For?
Your personal possessions are insured whilst inside of your accommodation for up to £10,000 in total (this is increased to £12,000 if you live with a partner and/or children or if you are registered as being disabled). In addition, a further £2,500 cover is provided for computer equipment within your accommodation (this is increased to £4,500 if you are registered as being disabled).
- Personal possessions - up to £10,000 in total.
- Replacement locks & keys - up to £500, following damage resulting from burglary. This cover does not include lost keys; visit Keycare if you require insurance for lost keys.
- Damage to clothing: failure of laundry equipment — up to £350.
- Computer equipment - up to £2,500 in total.
- In direct transit at the beginning and end of each university term - up to £10,000.
- In university designated storage during vacations - up to £10,000 for theft from forcible entry.
- Personal accident - up to £50,000, on a scale of benefits
- Credit/debit card fraud - up to £500, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Personal money - up to £100, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- University property on loan - up to £750.
- University property on loan if you are registered as disabled - up to £1,000.
- Landlords property | tenants liability — up to £5,000.
- Landlords property | tenants liability for rooms adapted for disabled student access— up to £10,000.
- Accidental death or redundancy of a parent or guardian - up to £5,000.
- Personal liability - up to £1,000,000 for injury to others or damage to their property.
- Emergency accommodation costs - up to £250.
- Emergency clothing allowance - up to £200.
- Rented household goods - up to £1,250.
- Mobile phone - up to £1,000 for theft following forcible entry.
- Personal possessions from communal areas - up to £1,000.
- Musical instruments - up to £1.250 for theft following forcible entry.
- Contact lenses - up to £150.
- Rented household goods - up to £1,250.
Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university).
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents tab.
What Is Not Insured:
- The policy excess:
- Computer equipment: The first 50 of any loss. For computer equipment provided through the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) no excess will apply.
- All other sections: The first £25 of any loss.
- Lost or stolen keys (visit Student Keycare if you require insurance for the loss of keys).
- Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of term).
- Accidental damage (unless basic cover is extended).
- Pedal cycles and Mobile phones (unless the basic cover is extended).
- Cover outside of your accommodation (unless the basic cover is extended).
Maximum Amounts Payable:
The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.
- Personal possessions single item limit - £1,250.
- Computer equipment - up to £2,500 in total.
- Computer accessories - up to £150 in total.
- Computer games, CD's, DVDs, videos & records - up to £1,250 in total.
- Clothing single item limit- £350.
- Photographic equipment - up to £1,250 in total.
- Sports Equipment- up to £1,250 in total.
- Jewellery, watches and other valuables - up to £1,250 in total.
- Audio, video, DVD, software & other data carrying media - up to £1,250 in total.
Your Duty of Care
You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.
If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents which you should keep a copy of for future reference. We can also send these out to you subject to an additional postage fee.
You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.
How to view the policy documents
The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.
To view your documents, please click on the links below.
|Policies For The Year: 2020—21||Policies For The Year: 2019—20|
|Master Policy Schedule (236KB)||(222KB) Master Policy Schedule|
|Policy Wording (420KB)||(420KB) Policy Wording |
Purchased after the 01/02/2020
|(409KB) Policy Wording |
Purchased before the 01/02/2020
|Policy IPID† (241KB)||(171KB) Policy IPID†|
To start the claims process, please complete the correct Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.
Fill out the online claims form here: Claims Form
Phone: 0161 974 1101
Cover4students Claims Team,
Stream Claims Services,
Newcastle under Lyme,
If you have a valid claim obtain a claim form from cover4students.com. Complete and return it along with:
- Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
- Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.
All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.
Our range of top-ups allows you to insure the items that are most important to you. By offering a range of top-ups you have the flexibility to chooses the covers that are most important to you, whether that is to add cover for a mobile phone or musical instruments or you just want cover for items outside your accommodation we have an option to suit you. The additional cover options available are listed below:
|Policy Benefit||Included||Upgrade up to|
|Course Fees and Rent Cover||No||£20,000|
|Mobile Phones | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Exam and Coursework Cover||No||£250|
|Photographic Equipment | Cover Anywhere Within The UK||No||£1,000|
|Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Excess Protection Insurance||No||£1,000|
|Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£4,000|
|Extra Covers For International Students|
|International Student Repatriation||No||Up To £5,000|
Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or when your Master Policy expires, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the Master Policy.
Why Extend My Cover?
In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:
- Are your total possessions worth more than £10,000 (excluding computer equipment)?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £14,000 by selecting the personal possessions top up.
- Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation? (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)
If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
- For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
- For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £4,000 in total with a single item limit of £500.
- Is your computer equipment worth more than £2,500?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £4,500 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
- Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
- Is your pedal cycle worth more than £1,000?
If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product.
To get a quote or for more information please click here.
- Do you require cover for your mobile phone outside of your accommodation?
If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
- Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.
It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.