0161 772 3382

Dwell Student Living

Dwell Student Living


If you're living in a residence at the Dwell Student Living there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your TV, Hi-Fi, clothes, sports equipment and frozen food. This insurance has been arranged by Dwell Student Living with Cover4Students.

You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.

You may find that you need more cover than is provided already by Dwell Student Living. Don't worry - there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available. For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet or mobile phone.

Enter a free competition to win £500 


How Much Am I Insured For?

Your possessions are insured inside of your accommodation for up to £7,000 in total (which is increased to £8,000 if you are registered as disabled). In addition, a further £2,000 cover is provided for desktop computer equipment within your accommodation.

What Is Covered:

  • Personal possessions – up to £7,000 in total.
  • Personal possessions, if you are registered as disabled – up to £8,000 in total.
  • Desktop Computer equipment – up to £2,000 in total.
  • Landlord’s property – up to £5,000 for theft or damage.
  • In direct transit at the beginning and end of each university term – up to £5,000.
  • In university designated storage during vacations – up to £5,000 for theft from forcible entry.
  • University property on loan, including library books - up to £500.
  • Replacement locks & keys – up to £350, following damage resulting from burglary.
    This cover does not include lost keys; visit Keycare if you require insurance for lost keys.
  • Rented household goods – up to £1,250, following damage resulting from burglary.
  • Personal money – up to £50, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Credit/debit card fraud – up to £500, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Personal accident – up to £50,000, on a scale of benefits.
  • Accidental death or redundancy of a financially supporting parent or guardian – up to £5,000.
  • Legal liability – up to £1,000,000 for injury to others or their property.
  • Food spoilage – up to £75, following the mechanical failure of fridge/freezer.
  • Mobile Phones – up to £750, for theft following forcible entry.
  • Personal possessions from communal areas - up to £1,000.
  • Musical instruments - up to £600 for theft following forcible entry.
  • Contact lenses - up to £150.

Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university). You can view the optional extensions available to you by looking at 'Top Up Covers'.


We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Claims tab.

What Is Not Insured:

  • The policy excess:
    • Food spoilage: The first £10 of any loss.
    • All other sections: The first £25.
  • Accidental damage
  • Laptops, tablets and portable computer equipment.
  • Lost or stolen keys (visit Student Keycare if you require insurance for the loss of keys).
  • Theft from vehicles (except when attended during transit at the beginning and end of each university term).
  • Pedal Cycles (unless the basic cover is extended).
  • Cover outside your accommodation (unless the basic cover is extended).

Maximum Amounts Payable:

The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.

  • Personal possessions single item limit – £1,250.
  • Desktop Computer equipment – up to £2,000 in total.
  • Musical instruments - up to £600 in total
  • Sports equipment - up to £1,000 in total.
  • Photographic equipment – up to £1,000 in total.
  • Clothing single item limit - £350.
  • Jewellery, watches and other valuables – up to £600 in total.
  • Audio, DVD, video and other data carrying media – up to £1,000 in total.
  • Rented household goods – up to £1,250.

Your Duty of Care

You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.


If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents. You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid. We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.

How to view the policy documents

The policy documents are available as PDFs.

To view these documents you will need a PDF reader.

Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website, or visit Access Adobe for help.

To view your documents, please click on the links below.

Policies For The Year: 2020—21Policies For The Year: 2029—20
Adobe PDF Master Policy Schedule (196KB)(199KB) Master Policy Schedule Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy Wording (420KB)(420KB) Policy Wording Adobe PDF
Purchased after the 01/02/2020
(546KB) Policy Wording Adobe PDF
Purchased before the 01/02/2020
Adobe PDF Policy IPID (169KB) (169KB) Policy IPID Adobe PDF
Insurance Product Information Document.


Full details of how to make a claim can be found in your policy wording or on our How to Make a Claim page. To start the claims process, please complete the UK Claims Form provided below.

Fill out the online claims form here:  Claims Form

You can contact the claims department on: 0161 974 1101 *

Before submitting your form please read your policy schedule to make sure you have a valid claim and you're covered.

You can send your completed form in the post:

Cover4students Claims Team,

Stream Claims Services,

Copthall House,

King Street,

Newcastle under Lyme,

ST5 1EL.

Optional Extentions

Our range of top-ups allows you to insure the items that are most important to you.

By offering a range of top-ups you have the flexibility to chooses the covers that are most important to you, whether that is to add cover for a mobile phone or musical instruments or you just want cover for items outside your accommodation we have an option to suit you. The additional cover options available are listed below:

Policy BenefitIncludedUpgrade up to
Personal Possessions£7,000£10,000
Desktop Computer Equipment£2,000£4,000
Course Fees and Rent CoverNo£20,000
Criminal AssaultNo£500
Legal ExpensesNo£30,000
Accidental DamageNo£5,000
Mobile Phones | Anywhere within the UKNo£1,000
Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UKNo£1,000
Digital DownloadNo£1,000
Exam and Coursework CoverNo£250
Photographic Equipment | Cover Anywhere Within The UKNo
Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UKNo£3,000
Excess Protection InsuranceNo£1,000
Specified Items | Anywhere within the UKNo£3,000
Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UKNo£4,000
Extra Covers For International Students
International Student RepatriationNoUp To £5,000

Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or when your Master Policy expires, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the Master Policy.

Why Extend My Cover?

Do I need to extend my cover?
In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:

  1. Are your total possessions worth more than £7,000 (excluding desktop computer equipment)?
    If yes, you can extend the cover, up to £10,000 by selecting the personal possessions to top up.
  2. Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)?
    If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
    • For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
    • For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £4,000 in total with a single item limit of £500.
    Please note that musical & orchestral instruments, pedal cycles, photographic equipment and mobile phones cannot be covered under these sections as separate cover sections are available for these items.
  3. Is your desktop computer equipment worth more than £2,000?
    If yes, you can extend the cover, up to £4,000 by selecting the desktop computer equipment top-up.
  4. Do you require accidental damage cover?
    Accidental damage cover is excluded from the standard cover.
    An 'Accidental Damage' extension is available which will cover your 'Audio equipment, Desktop Computer Equipment, Games Consoles, Television, Video and DVD players against accidental damage whilst within the accommodation.
    Please note that accidental damage cover is automatically included for the following items where a top-up has been purchased:
    • Mobile Phone
    • Pedal Cycles
    • Musical Instruments
    • Orchestral Instruments
    • Photographic equipment
    • Items listed under the "Specified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
    • Items insured under the "Unspecified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
  5. Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
    If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
  6. Is your pedal cycle worth more than £1,000?
    If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product.
    To get a quote or for more information please click here.
  7. Do you require cover for your mobile phone outside your accommodation?
    If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
  8. Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
    We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.

It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.

We have updated our Cookie Policy and our Privacy policy. Cookies are used to ensure we provide the best customer experience. Continued use of this website assumes your acceptance of these policies.