University of Edinburgh
If you're living in a residence at the University of Edinburgh there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes, sports equipment and frozen food. This insurance has been arranged by the University of Edinburgh with Cover4Students.
You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.
You may find you need more cover than is provided already. Don't worry - there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available. For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet.
How Much Am I Insured For?
Your personal possessions are insured whilst inside of your accommodation for up to £7,500 in total. In addition, a further £2,500 is provided for computer equipment (including laptops and tablets) within your accommodation. For family properties and disabled students, possessions cover is increased to £8,500 in total. The cover limit of £2,500 for cimputer equipment is also extended to £4,500 for disabled students.
What Is Covered:
- Personal possessions – up to £7,500. If you are registered as disabled, this is increased to £8,500.
- Computer equipment - up to £2,500 in total.
- Landlord's property - up to £5,000 for theft or damage.
- In direct transit at the beginning and end of each university term - up to £7,500.
- In university designated storage during vacations - up to £7,500, for theft from forcible entry.
- In university and student union buildings - up to £1,000.
- University property on loan / Library books - up to £750.
- Replacement locks & keys - up to £300, following damage resulting from entry.
- Rented household goods - up to £1,250.
- Personal money - up to £100, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Credit/debit card fraud - up to £500, following theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Personal accident - up to £50,000, on a scale of benefits.
- Accidental death or redundancy of a financially supporting parent or guardian - up to £5,000.
- Legal liability - up to £1,000,000 for injury to others or damage to their property.
- Food spoilage - up to £75, following mechanical failure of fridge/freezer.
- Damage to clothing – up to £300, for damage to clothing caused by faulty laundry equipment.
- Mobile phone - up to £750, for theft from your room following forcible burglary.
- Accidental damage - up to £7,500, for damage to audio equipment, computer equipment, games consoles, TVs, video and DVD players owned by you.
- Personal possessions from communal areas - up to £1,000.
- Emergency accommodation - up to £350.
- Emergency clothing allowance - up to £200.
Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university).
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents / Claims tab.
What Is Not Insured:
- The policy excess:
- Food spoilage – the first £10 of any loss.
- Accidental damage to landlord's property claims up to £2,500 - The first £100.
- Accidental damage to landlord's property claims over £2,500 - The first £250.
- All other sections - The first £25.
- Food spoilage – the first £10 of any loss.
- Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of term).
- Contact lenses.
- Pedal cycles (unless basic cover is extended).
- Cover outside of your accommodation (unless basic cover is extended).
Maximum Amounts Payable:
The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.
- Computer equipment - up to £2,500 in total.
- Possessions single item limit (excluding computer equipment) - £1,500.
- Jewellery, watches and other valuables - up to £1,500 in total.
- Portable digital media (including mp3 players, cameras & excluding mobile phones) - up to £1,500 in total.
- Clothing (single item limit) - £350.
- Photographic equipment - up to £1,500 in total.
- Sports equipment - up to £1,500 in total.
- TV's, games consoles, video & DVD players - up to £1,500 in total.
Your Duty of Care
You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.
If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents.
You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid. We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.
How to view the policy documents
The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help. To view your documents, please click on the links below.
|Policies For The Year: 2017—18||Policies For The Year: 2016—17|
|Master Policy Schedule (260KB)||(265KB) Master Policy Schedule|
|Policy Wording (1.12MB)||(1.01MB) Policy Wording|
|Policy Summary (619KB)||(611KB) Policy Summary|
To start the claims process, please complete the correct Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.
Fill out the online claims form here: Claims Form
Phone: 0161 974 1101
Cover4students Claims Team,
Stream Claim Solutions,
60 Spring Gardens,
If you have a valid claim, complete the claim form with, where possible:
- Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
- Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.
All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.
Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you.
By offering a range of top ups you have the flexibility to choose the covers that are most important to you, whether that is to add cover for a mobile phone or musical instruments or you just want cover for items outside your accommodation we have an option to suit you. The additional cover options available are listed below:
|Policy Benefit||Included||Upgrade up to|
|Course Fees and Rent Cover||No||£20,000|
|Mobile Phones | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UK||No||£1,000|
|Exam and Coursework Cover||No||£250|
|Photographic Equipment | Cover Anywhere Within The UK||No||£1,000|
|Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Excess Protection Insurance||No||£1,000|
|Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£4,000|
|Extra Covers For International Students|
|International Student Repatriation||No||Up To £5,000|
Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or on the 31/08/2018, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the master policy.
Why Extend My Cover?
In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:
- Are your total possessions worth more than £7,500 (excluding computer equipment)?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £9,500 by selecting the personal possessions top up.
- Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation? (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)
If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
- For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
- For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £4,000 in total with a single item limit of £500.
- Is your computer equipment worth more than £2,500?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £5,000 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
- Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £500.
- Is your pedal cycle worth more than £1,000?
If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product.
To get a quote or for more information please click here.
- o you require cover for your Course Fees?
We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.
It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.
Not In Halls
If you are a student at the University of Edinburgh but won't be living in accommodation managed by them this year, you won't be covered by this scheme.
However, we're offering a 10% off our Student Possessions Insurance for the University of Edinburgh students who are living in private accommodation. Just click on the link below where the 10% discount will be applied:
If you're a former University of Edinburgh student or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically: