If you're living in a halls of residence provided through Newcastle University there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes, sports equipment and frozen food. This insurance has been arranged by Newcastle University with Cover4Students.
You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.
You may find that you need more cover than is already arranged by Newcastle University. Don't worry - there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available. For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet or your mobile phone.
Get exclusive access to our Benefits Hub where you can access discounts up to 75% off well-known brands.
Enter a free competition to win £500
By confirming your cover you get access to our Benefits Hub where you can access discounts up to 75% off well-known brands.
Students staying with one of our accommodation providers get contents insurance automatically included. To check your cover, register with Cover4Insurance below.
Once registered you will be:
- Emailed your policy documents.
- Entered into a free prize draw with a chance of winning £500† winner to be announced in early November 2022.
- Provided exclusive access to our Benefits Hub where you can access a huge variety of savings and discounts across many reputable retailers.
- You will be sent a 10% discount code for our Student Possessions Insurance when this policy expires.
Your personal possessions are insured inside of your accommodation for up to £7,500 (if you live with a partner and/or children or if you are registered as disabled, sum insured is increased to £10,000) in total. In addition, a further £2,500 cover is provided for computer equipment (including laptops) within your accommodation (if you are registered as disabled, the sum insured is increased to £4,000). They are also covered whilst they are in university buildings.
What Is Covered:
- Personal possessions within the insured address — up to £10,000.
- Personal possessions within the insured address if you live with a partner and/or children — up to £12,000.
- Personal possessions within the insured address if you are registered disabled — up to £12,000.
- Replacement locks & keys — up to £500.
This cover does not include lost keys; visit Keycare if you require insurance for lost keys.
- Food spoilage: failure of fridge /freezer — up to £75.
- Damage to clothing: failure of laundry equipment — up to £350.
- Desktop computer equipment | room only — up to £2,500.
- Desktop computer equipment | room only if you are registered disabled — up to £4,000.
- Ipads laptops & portable computer equipment | room only — up to £2,500.
- Ipads laptops & portable computer equipment | room only if you are registered disabled — up to £4,000.
- Vacation cover — up to £10,000.
- Personal accident — up to £50,000.
- Credit cards — up to £500.
- Personal money — up to £100.
- College | university property on loan — up to £1,000.
- College | university property on loan if you are registered disabled — up to £1,250.
- Landlords property | tenants liability — up to £5,000.
- Accidental damage to landlords property | tenants liability — up to £5,000.
- Accidental death, injury or illness of a financially supporting parent or guardian — up to £5,000.
- Legal liability — up to £1,000,000.
- Emergency accommodation costs — up to £350.
- Emergency clothing allowance — up to £200.
- Mobile phone | room only — up to £1,000.
- Personal possessions from communal areas — up to £1,000.
- Musical instruments | room only — up to £1,250.
- Contact lenses — up to £150.
- Accommodation partner liability — up to £500.
You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university).
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Claims tab.
What Is Not Insured:
- The policy excess:
- Food spoilage £10.
- Accidental damage to landlords property | tenants liability claims up to £2,500 £100.
- Accidental damage to landlords property | tenants liability claims over £2,500 £250.
- Pedal cycles valued over £1,000‡ 10% of the pedal cycle value.
- Photographic equipment valued over £1,000‡ 10% of the photographic equipment value.
- All other sections £25.
- Please note that the policy excess for the following sections:
- Section 1: Personal Possessions within the Insured Address.
- Section 2B: Computer Equipment | Room Only
will not apply in cases where the item stolen has been registered by one or more of the following security measures:
- Lost or stolen keys (visit Student Keycare if you require insurance for the loss of keys).
- Cover outside of your accommodation (unless the basic cover is extended).
- Please note that personal possessions are automatically covered whilst in direct transit to and from your accommodation to your university. They are also covered whilst they are in university buildings.
- Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of term).
- Contact lenses.
- Pedal cycles (unless the basic cover is extended).
Maximum Amounts Payable:
The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.
- Personal possessions single item limit — up to £1,500.
- Computer equipment — up to £2,500.
- Computer accessories — up to £250.
- Musical instruments — up to £1,250.
- Sports equipment — up to £1,250.
- Photographic equipment — up to £1,250.
- Clothing single item limit — up to £1,250.
- Jewellery, watches & other valuables — up to £1,250.
- Audio, DVD, video & other data carrying media — up to £1,250.
- Computer games, CDs, DVDs, videos & records — up to £1,250.
- Rented household goods — up to £1,500.
Your Duty of Care
You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.
If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents.
You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.
We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.
How to view the policy documents
The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.
To view your documents, please click on the links below.
|Policies For The Year 2022—23:||Policies For The Year: 2021—22:|
|Master Policy Schedule (231KB)||(200KB) Master Policy Schedule|
|Policy Wording (412KB)||(421KB) Policy Wording|
|Policy IPID† (150KB)||(246KB) Policy IPID†|
To start the claims process, please complete the correct Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.
Fill out the online claims form here: Claims Form
Phone: 0161 974 1101
Cover4students Claims Team,
Stream Claims Services,
Newcastle under Lyme,
If you have a valid claim obtain a claim form from cover4students.com. Complete and return it along with:
- Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
- Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.
All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.
Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you.
By offering a range of top ups you have the flexibility to chooses the covers that are most important to you, whether that is to add cover for a mobile phone or musical instruments or you just want cover for items outside your accommodation we have an option to suit you. The additional cover options available are listed below:
|Policy Benefit||Included||Upgrade up to|
|Course Fees and Rent Cover||No||£20,000|
|Accidental Damage To Landlords Property | Tenant's Liability||£5,000||£10,000|
|Mobile Phones | Anywhere in the UK||No||£1,000|
|Pedal Cycles | Anywhere in the UK||No||£3,000|
|Exam and Coursework Cover||No||£250|
|Musical Instruments | Anywhere in the UK||No||£3,000|
|Excess Protection Insurance||No||£1,000|
|Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£3,000|
|Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£4,000|
|Photographic Equipment | Anywhere in the UK||No||£5,000|
|Extra Covers For International Students|
|International Student Repatriation||No||Up To £5,000|
Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or when your Master Policy expires, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the Master Policy.
Why Extend My Cover?
In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:
- Are your total possessions worth more than £10,000 (excluding computer equipment)?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £16,000 by selecting the personal possessions top up.
- Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation, (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)?
If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
- For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
- For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £4,000 in total with a single item limit of £500.
- Is your computer equipment worth more than £2,500?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £5,000 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
- Do you require accidental damage cover?
Accidental damage cover is excluded from the standard cover.
An 'Accidental Damage' extension is available which will cover your 'Audio equipment, Computer Equipment, Games Consoles, Television, Video and DVD players against accidental damage whilst within the accommodation.
Please note that accidental damage cover is automatically included for the following items where a top up has been purchased:
- Mobile Phone
- Pedal Cycles
- Musical Instruments
- Photographic Equipment
- Items listed under the "Specified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
- Items insured under the "Unspecified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
- Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £3,000.
- Do you require cover for your photographic equipment?
If yes, you will need to select the photographic equipment extension. This extension will cover your camera equipment for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £5,000.
- Do you require cover for your mobile phone outside of your accommodation?
If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
- Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.
It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.
Not In Halls?
If you are a student at Newcastle University but won't be living in accommodation managed by them this year, you won't be covered by this scheme.
However, we're offering a 10% off our Student Possessions Insurance for Newcastle University students who are living in private accommodation. Just click on the link below where the 10% discount will be applied:
If you're a former Newcastle University student or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically: