0161 772 3382

Sanctuary Students

Sanctuary students

If you're living in a Sanctuary Students accommodation there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes, sports equipment and frozen food. This insurance has been arranged by Sanctuary Students with Cover4Students.

You will find a summary of the cover below. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs. You may find that you need more cover than is provided already. Don't worry - there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available. For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet. Also as Mobile Phones are excluded from this policy, you may wish to look at our separate Mobile Phone Insurance (please see the Other Student Insurance tab).

Enter a free competition to win £500 


What Am I Insured Against?

Basic cover insures your personal possessions on a new for old basis, against theft (whether or not someone physically breaks into your room/flat), fire, flood, explosion and lightning.

In the event of a claim, items will be replaced as new, regardless of age or condition (except for clothing, linen & rented household goods, where a deduction is made for wear & tear).

How Much Am I Insured For?

Your personal possessions are insured inside of your accommodation for their full value subject to a single item limit of £600.In addition a further £2,000 cover is provided for computer equipment (including laptops) within your accommodation.

What Is Covered:

  • Personal Possessions - for their full value subject to a single item limit.
  • Computer equipment - up to the value of £2,000.
  • Cover in direct transit at the beginning and end of each university term.
  • Cover in university designated storage during vacations – for theft from forcible entry.
  • Landlord’s property – up to £5,000 for theft or fire damage.
  • University property on loan – up to £500.
  • Replacement locks & keys – up to £100, following damage, resulting from burglary.
  • Personal money – up to £50, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Credit/debit card fraud – up £500, for theft from your room following forcible entry
  • Vacation cover - up to £3,500, for theft following forcible entry.
  • Accidental death or redundancy of a parent or guardian - £5,000.
  • Personal accident - up to £10,000.
  • Personal liability - up to £1,000,000 for injury to others or damage to their property.
  • Food spoilage – up to £50, following mechanical failure of fridge/freezer.
  • Damage to clothing – up to £300, for damage caused by faulty laundry equipment.
  • Mobile Phone - up to £500, for theft following forcible entry.
  • Criminal assault – up to £500, for costs incurred as a direct result of a criminal assault, excluding theft.

Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university).


We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents / Claims tab.

What Is Not Insured:

  • The policy excess:
    • Food spoilage: failure of fridge/ freezer - £10.
    • Laptops and portable computers - £50
    • Landlord's property/tenant's liability - £100.
    • All other sections - £25.
  • Cover outside of your accommodation (unless basic cover is extended).
  • Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of each term).
  • Pedal cycles (unless basic cover is extended).
  • Musical instruments (unless basic cover is extended).
  • Contact lenses.

Maximum Amounts Payable:

The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.

  • Possessions single item limit - £600.
  • Computer equipment - £2,000.
  • Sports equipment - £1,000.
  • Photographic equipment - £1,000.
  • Jewellery, watches and other valuables - £600
  • Audio, dvd, video and other data carrying media - £1,000.
  • Computer games, CDs, DVDs, videos and records - £600.

Your Duty of Care

You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.


If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents.

You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.

We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.

How to view the policy documents

The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help. To view your documents, please click on the links below.

Policies For The Year: 2018—19Policies For The Year: 2017—18
Adobe PDF Master Policy Schedule (179KB)(188KB) Master Policy Schedule Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy Wording (981KB)(978KB) Policy Wording Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy IPID (187KB)(280KB) Policy Summary Adobe PDF
Insurance Product Information Document.


How to Claim– Full details of how to make a claim can be found in your policy wording. To start the claims process, please complete the UK Claims Form provided below.

Download a Claims Form:

Adobe PDF Claims Form PDF | word doc icon Claims Form Word Doc

Call our Claims Department

You can contact our claims department directly on 0142 223 8530 to register your claim. Or once you've submitted your claims form, if you have any queries or would like an claim update.

Before submitting your form please read your policy schedule to make sure you have a valid claim and you're covered.

You can send your completed form via email to claims@cover4students.com.

Or in the post:


Claims Team,

Direct Group Property Nexus,

PO Box 800,


HX1 9ET.

Optional Extensions

Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you. By offering a range of top ups you have the flexibility to chooses the covers that are most important to you, whether that is to add cover for a mobile phone or musical instruments or you just want cover for items outside your accommodation we have an option to suit you. The additional cover options available are listed below:

Policy Benefit
Upgrade up to
Computer Equipment
Course Fees and Rent Cover
Criminal Assault
Accidental Damage
Legal Expenses
Mobile Phones |Anywhere within the UK No
Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UK
Digital Download
Orchestral Instruments | Anywhere within the UK
Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UK
Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK
Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK
Exam and Coursework Cover

Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or when your Master Policy expires, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the Master Policy.

Why Extend My Cover?

In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:

  1. Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation, (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)?
    If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
    • For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
    • For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £1,000 in total with a single item limit of £250.
    Please note that musical & orchestral instruments, pedal cycles and mobile phones cannot be covered under these sections as seperate cover sections are avialable for these items.
  2. Is your computer equipment worth more than £2,000?
    If yes, you can extend the cover up to £4,000 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
  3. Do you require accidental damage cover?
    Accidental damage cover is excluded from the standard cover.
    An Accidental Damage extension is available, which will cover your Audio equipment, Computer Equipment, Camera Equipment, Games Consoles, Television, Video and DVD players against accidental damage whilst within the accommodation.
    Please note that accidental damage cover is automatically included for the following items where a top up has been purchased:
    • Mobile Phone
    • Pedal Cycles
    • Musical Instruments
    • Orchestral Instruments
    • Items listed under the "Specified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
    • Items insured under the "Unspecified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
  4. Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
    If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £500.
  5. Is your pedal cycle worth more than £500?
    If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product. To get a quote or for more information please click here.
  6. Do you require cover for your mobile phone outside your accommodation?
    If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £750.
  7. Is your mobile phone worth more than £500?
    If yes we can cover mobile phones up to £1,00 via our separate standalone student mobile phone insurance product. To get a quote, please click here.
  8. Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
    We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.

It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.

We have updated our Cookie Policy and our Privacy policy. Cookies are used to ensure we provide the best customer experience. Continued use of this website assumes your acceptance of these policies.