Sheffield Hallam University
If you're living in halls of residence provided through Sheffield Hallam there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes, sports equipment and frozen food. This insurance has been arranged by Sheffield Hallam University with Cover4Students.
You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.
You may find that you need more cover than is already arranged by Sheffield Hallam University. Don't worry - there is a tab above listing the range of 'Optional Extensions' that are available.
For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet or you may wish to add mobile phone insurance (as mobiles are excluded from the basic cover).
How Much Am I Insured For?
Your personal possessions are insured whilst inside your accommodation for up to £5,000 in total. In addition, a further £2,000 cover is provided for computer equipment (including laptops) within your accommodation. If you live with a partner and/or children, possessions cover is increased to £7,500 in total and computer equipment is increased to £4,000.
- Personal possessions - up to £5,000 in total This is increased to £7,500 if you are registered as disabled or if you are living with your family.
- Computer equipment - up to £2,000 in total. This is increased to £4,000 if you are registered as disabled.
- In direct transit at the beginning and end of each university term - up to £5,000 in total.
- In university designated storage during vacations - up to £5,000, for theft from forcible entry.
- University property on loan - up to £750.
- Replacement locks & keys - up to £350, following damage resulting from burglary.
- Rented household goods - up to £1,167.
- Personal money - up to £50, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Credit/debit card fraud - up to £500, following theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Personal accident - up to £50,000, on a scale of benefits.
- Accidental death or redundancy of a financially supporting parent or guardian – up to £5,000.
- Legal liability - up to £1,000,000 for injury to others or damage to their property.
- Food spoilage - up to £75, following mechanical failure of fridge/freezer.
- Landlord's property - up to £5,000 for theft or fire damage.
- Mobile phones - up to £500, following theft from your room following forcible entry.
- Personal possessions from communal areas - up to £1,000.
- Contact lenses - up to £150.
Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university). You can view these extensions in the 'Optional Extensions' tab above.
We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents / Claims tab.
What Is Not Insured:
- The first £25 of any loss (this is reduced to £10 for food spoilage claims).
- Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of each term).
- Pedal cycles (unless basic cover is extended).
- Cover outside your accommodation (unless basic cover is extended).
Maximum Amounts Payable:
The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.
- Personal possessions single item limit - up to £1,250.
- Computer equipment - up to £2,000 in total.
- Jewellery, watches and other valuables - up to £1,250 in total.
- Audio, DVD, video and other data carrying media - up to £1,000 in total
- Computer games, CD's, DVD's, videos & records — up to £600 in total.
- Rented household goods — up to £1,167 in total.
Your Duty of Care
If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents.
You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid. We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.
How to view the policy documents
The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help. To view your documents, please click on the links below.
|Policies For The Year: 2017—18||Policies For The Year: 2016—17|
|Master Policy Schedule (213KB)||(205KB) Master Policy Schedule|
|Policy Wording (1.12MB)||(1.01MB) Policy Wording|
|Policy Summary (619KB)||(611KB) Policy Summary|
To start the claims process, please complete the correct Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.
Fill out the online claims form here: Claims form
Phone: 0161 974 1101
Cover4students Claims Team,
Stream Claim Solutions,
60 Spring Gardens,
If you have a valid claim obtain a claim form from cover4students.com. Complete and return it along with:
- Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
- Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.
- All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police within 24 hours.
Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you; Mobile Phones, Cameras, Watches, Jewellery etc outside your accommodation which are not covered under your existing basic policy. The additional cover options available are listed below:
|Policy Benefit|| Included ||Upgrade up to |
|Personal Possessions|| £5,000 ||£10,000 |
|Computer Equipment ||£2,000 ||£3,000 |
|Course Fees and Rent Cover ||No ||£20,000 |
|Criminal Assault ||No ||£500 |
|Legal Expenses ||No ||£30,000 |
|Accidental Damage ||No ||£5,000|
|Mobile Phones | Anywhere within the UK ||No ||£1,000 |
|Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UK ||No ||£1,000|
| Digital Download ||No ||£1,000 |
|Exam and Coursework Cover ||No ||£250 |
|Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UK ||No ||£3,000 |
|Excess Protection Insurance ||No ||£1,000 |
|Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK ||No ||£3,000 |
|Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK||No||£4,000|
|Photographic Equipment | Anywhere within the UK||No||£5,000|
|Extra Covers For International Students |
|International Student Repatriation|
Cover | Burial Costs Or Body Repatriation
| International Student Repatriation Cover|
| Emergency Repatriation Of The Insured
Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or on the 31/08/2018, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the master policy.
Why Extend My Cover?
In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:
- Are your total possessions worth more than £3,500 (excluding computer equipment)?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £7,000 by selecting the personal possessions top up.
- Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation? (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)
If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
- For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
- For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £4,000 in total with a single item limit of £500.
- Is your computer equipment worth more than £2,000?
If yes, you can extend the cover up to £4,000 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
- Do you require accidental damage cover?
Accidental damage cover is excluded from the standard cover.
An 'Accidental Damage' extension is available which will cover your 'Audio equipment, Computer Equipment, Games Consoles, Television, Video and DVD players against accidental damage whilst within the accommodation.
Please note that accidental damage cover is automatically included for the following items where a top up has been purchased:
- Mobile Phone
- Pedal Cycles
- Musical Instruments
- Photographic Equipment
- Items listed under the "Specified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
- Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
Items insured under the "Unspecified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
- Is your pedal cycle worth more than £1,000?
If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product. To get a quote or for more information please click here.
- Do you require cover for your mobile phone?
If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
- Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.
It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.
Not In Halls?
If you are a student at Sheffield Hallam University but won't be living in accommodation managed by them this year, you won't be covered by this scheme.
However, we're offering a 10% off our Student Possessions Insurance for Sheffield Hallam University students who are living in private accommodation. Just click on the link below where the 10% discount will be applied:
If you're a former Sheffield Hallam University student or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically: