0161 772 3382



If you're living in a residence at the Ulster University accommodation there is some good news; you automatically have a basic level of insurance cover in place with us. This insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes, sports equipment and frozen food. This insurance has been arranged by Ulster University with Cover4Students.

You will find a summary of the cover in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.

You may find that you need more cover than is provided already by the basic Ulster University policy. Don't worry – there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available. For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your accommodation such as a laptop or tablet.


How Much Am I Insured For?

Your personal possessions are insured inside of your accommodation for their full value subject to a single item limit of £500. In addition a further £5,000 cover is provided for computer equipment (including laptops and tablets) within your accommodation.

What Is Covered:

  • Personal Possessions – for their full value subject to a single item limit.
  • Computer equipment – up to the value of £5,000.
  • Cover in direct transit at the beginning and end of each university term.
  • Cover in university designated storage during vacations – for theft from forcible entry.
  • Landlord’s property – up to £5,000, for theft or damage.
  • Criminal assault – up to £500, for costs incurred as a direct result of a criminal assault, excluding theft.
  • University property on loan and library books – up to £750.
  • Replacement locks & keys – up to £100, if your keys are stolen.
  • Rented household goods – up to £1,250.
  • Personal money – up to £100, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Credit/debit card fraud – up £500, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Vacation cover – up to £3,500, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Accidental death or redundancy of a parent or guardian – £5,000.
  • Personal accident – up to £50,000, on a scale of benefits.
  • Personal liability – up to £1,000,000, for injury to others or damage to their property.
  • Food spoilage – up to £75, following mechanical failure of fridge/freezer.
  • Damage to clothing – up to £300, for damage caused by faulty laundry equipment.
  • Personal possessions from communal areas - up to £1,000 for theft following forcible entry. 
  • Mobile phone – up to £750, for theft following forcible entry.
  • Contact lenses - up to £150. 
  • Musical instruments - up to £1,000 in total. 
  • Accidental damage to landlord's property - up to £5,000. 

Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university).


We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents / Claims tab.

What Is Not Insured:

  • The policy excess:
    • Food spoilage: failure of fridge/ freezer – £10.
    • Laptops, tablets and portable computers – £50.
    • Accidental damage to landlord's property, claims up to £2,500 – £100.
    • Accidental damage to landlord's property, claims over £2,500 – £250.
    • All other sections – £25.
  • Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of each term).
  • Pedal cycles (unless basic cover is extended).
  • Musical instruments (unless basic cover is extended).
  • Contact lenses.
  • Cover outside of your accommodation (unless basic cover is extended).

Maximum Amounts Payable:

The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.

  • Possessions single item limit – £500 in total.
  • Desktop Computer equipment – £2,500 in total.
  • Laptops, tablets and portable computers - £2,500 in total. 
  • Sports equipment – £1,000 in total.
  • Photographic equipment – £1,000 in total.
  • Musical instruments - £1,000 in total. 
  • Jewellery, watches and other valuables – £1,250 in total.
  • Audio, dvd, video and other data carrying media – £1,000 in total.
  • Computer games, CDs, DVDs, videos and records – £1,000 in total.

Your Duty of Care

You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.


If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents.

You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.

We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.

How to view the policy documents

The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.

To view your documents, please click on the links below.

Policies For The Year: 2017—18Policies For The Year: 2016—17
Master Policy Schedule (239 KB)Master Policy Schedule (239 KB)
Policy Wording (279 KB)Policy Wording (279 KB)
Policy Summary (302KB)Policy Summary (302KB)


How to Claim—Full details of how to make a claim can be found in your policy wording. To start the claims process, please complete the UK Claims Form provided below.

Download a Claims Form:

Claims Form PDF | Claims Form Word Doc

Before submitting your form please read your policy schedule to make sure you have a valid claim and you're covered.

You can send your completed form in the post:

Cover4students, Claims Team, Direct Group Property Services Limited, PO Box 800, Halifax, HX1 9ET

Optional Extensions

Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you.

By offering a range of top ups you have the flexibility to chooses the covers that are most important to you, whether that is to add cover for a mobile phone or musical instruments or you just want cover for items outside your accommodation we have an option to suit you. The additional cover options available are listed below:


Policy Benefit
Upgrade up to
Computer Equipment
Course Fees and Rent Cover
Accidental Damage
Legal Expenses
Mobile Phones |Anywhere within the UK
Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UK
Digital Download
Exam and Coursework Cover
Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UK
Specified Items | Anywhere within the UK
Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UK
Photographic Equipment | Anywhere within the UK
Extra Covers For International Students
International Student RepatriationNoUp To £5,000

Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or on the 31/08/2018, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the master policy.

Why Extend My Cover?

In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:

  1. Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation, (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)?
    If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
    • For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
    • For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £4,000 in total with a single item limit of £500.
    Please note that musical & orchestral instruments, photographic equipment,pedal cycles and mobile phones cannot be covered under these sections as separate cover sections are available for these items.
  2. Is your computer equipment worth more than £2,000?
    If yes, you can extend the cover up to £4,000 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
  3. Do you require accidental damage cover?
    Accidental damage cover is excluded from the standard cover.
    An 'Accidental Damage' extension is available which will cover your 'Audio equipment, Games Consoles, Television, Video and DVD players against accidental damage whilst within the accommodation.
    Please note that accidental damage cover is automatically included for the following items where a top up has been purchased:
    • Mobile Phone
    • Pedal Cycles
    • Musical Instruments
    • Photographic equipment
    • Items listed under the "Specified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
    • Items insured under the "Unspecified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
  4. Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
    If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £500.
  5. Is your pedal cycle worth more than £500?
    If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product. To get a quote or for more information please click here.
  6. Do you require cover for your mobile phone outside your accommodation?
    If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £500.
  7. Is your mobile phone worth more than £500?
    If yes, we can cover your mobile phone, including iPhone,Blackberry and Smart-phones up to £1,000 for theft or accidental damage via our separate standalone mobile phone product. Please click here.
  8. Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
    We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.

It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.

Extend Your Students Contents Insurance Policy

Not In Halls?

If you are a student at Ulster University but won't be living in accommodation managed by them this year, you won't be covered by this scheme.

However, we're offering a 10% off our Student Possessions Insurance for Ulster University students who are living in private accommodation. Just click on the link below where the 10% discount will be applied:


If you're a former Ulster University student or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically: