0161 772 3382

Bath, University of


If you're living in University of Bath accommodation, there is some good news; there is a basic level of insurance for students, already in place for you, arranged with us. This students contents insurance will provide a range of cover for your possessions within your accommodation such as cover for your laptop, electrical goods, clothes and sports equipment. This student insurance has been arranged by the University of Bath with Cover4Students.

You will find a summary of the in the tabs. We recommend that you download and read the policy schedule and policy wording; ensuring that you understand the student contents insurance cover provided and that it is suitable for your needs.

You may find that you need more students' insurance cover than is provided already. Don't worry – there is a section below listing the range of optional top up covers that are available. For example, you may wish to insure items outside of your student accommodation such as a laptop, tablet or mobile.


How Much Am I Insured For?

Your possessions are insured inside of your accommodation for up to £7,500 in total. In addition a further £2,500 cover is provided for computer equipment within your accommodation (including laptops and tablets). If you are registered as disabled, possessions cover is increased to £8,500.

What Is Covered:

  • Personal possessions – up to £7,500 in total (this is increased to £8,500 if you are registered as disabled).
  • Computer equipment – up to £2,500 in total.
  • Landlord’s property – up to £5,000 for theft or fire damage.
  • In direct transit at the beginning and end of each university term – up to £7,500.
  • In university designated storage during vacations – up to £5,000, for theft from forcible entry.
  • In university and student union buildings – up to £500, for theft following forcible entry.
  • Library books / university property on loan – up to £750.
  • Replacement locks & keys – up to £350, following damage resulting from burglary.
  • Rented household goods – up to £1,250.
  • Personal money – up to £50, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Credit/debit card fraud – up to £500, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Accidental death or redundancy of a financially supporting parent or guardian – up to £5,000.
  • Food spoilage – up to £75, following mechanical failure of a fridge/freezer.
  • Personal accident – up to £50,000, on a scale of benefits.
  • Legal liability – up to £1,000,000 for injury to others or damage to their property.
  • Mobile phone – up to £750, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Personal possessions from communal areas – up to £1,000 in total.
  • Musical instruments – up to £1,000 in total, for theft from your room following forcible entry.
  • Contact lenses – up to £150.
  • Damage to clothes – up to £300, following mechanical failure of laundry equipment.

Important: You may need to extend the basic policy cover to protect your valuable items such as your mobile phone, iPod, bicycle etc. if you are taking them out and about (travelling to and from university).


We strongly recommend that you read the full terms contained in the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that govern your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents / Claims tab.

What Is Not Insured:

  • The policy excess:Food spoilage:
    • The first £10 of any loss.
    • Laptops & portable computer equipment: the first £50 of any loss.
    • All other sections: the first £25 of any loss.
  • Theft from vehicles (except where attended during transit at the beginning and end of each term).
  • Pedal cycles (unless basic cover is extended).
  • Cover outside of your accommodation (unless basic cover is extended).

Maximum Amounts Payable:

The following categories of items are subject to a maximum amount payable during the period of insurance.

  • Personal possessions – £1,250.
  • Clothing single item limit – £350.
  • Computer equipment – up to £2,500 in total.
  • Audio equipment – up to £1,000 in total.
  • TV, games consoles, video & DVD players – up to £1,000 in total.
  • Photographic equipment, video cameras & camcorders – up to £1,000 in total.
  • Sports equipment – up to £1,000 in total.
  • Jewellery, watches and other valuables – up to £1,000 in total.
  • Music, video, DVD, software & other data carrying media– up to £1,000 in total.

Your Duty of Care

You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.


If you purchase a Top Up Cover to your Blockhalls Insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and key facts documents.

You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.

We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Master Policy Schedule, Policy Wording and Key Facts documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.

How to view the policy documents

The policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.

To view your documents, please click on the links below.

Policies For The Year: 2017—18Policies For The Year: 2016—17
Adobe PDF Master Policy Schedule (228KB)(219KB) Master Policy Schedule Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy Wording (1.12MB)(1.01MB) Policy Wording Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy Summary (619KB)(611KB) Policy Summary Adobe PDF


How to Claim

To start the claims process, please complete the correct Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.

Fill out the online claims form here: Claims Form

Phone: 0161 974 1101


Cover4students Claims Team,

Stream Claim Solutions,

60 Spring Gardens,


M2 2BQ.

If you have a valid claim obtain a claim form from cover4students.com. Complete and return it along with:

  • Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
  • Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.

All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.


Our range of top ups allow you to insure the items that are most important to you.

By offering a range of top ups you have the flexibility to chooses the covers that are most important to you, whether that is to add cover for a mobile phone or musical instruments or you just want cover for items outside your accommodation we have an option to suit you. The additional cover options available are listed below:

Policy Benefit Included
Upgrade up to
Personal Possessions£7,500£15,000
Computer Equipment£2,500£5,000
Course Fees and Rent CoverNo£20,000
Criminal AssaultNo£500
Legal ExpensesNo£30,000
Accidental DamageNo£7,500
Mobile Phones | Anywhere within the UKNo£1,000
Pedal Cycles | Anywhere within the UKNo£1,000
Digital DownloadNo£1,000
Exam and Coursework CoverNo£250
Photographic Equipment | Cover Anywhere Within The UKNo
Musical Instruments | Anywhere within the UKNo£3,000
Excess Protection InsuranceNo£1,000
Specified Items | Anywhere within the UKNo£3,000
Unspecified Items | Anywhere within the UKNo£4,000
Extra Covers For International Students
International Student RepatriationNoUp To £5,000

Please note that your policy will expire when you move out of your student accommodation or on the 14/09/2018, whichever is sooner. Any extensions you make will also expire with the master policy.

Why Extend My Cover?

In order to help you decide if you need to top up your cover, we have devised a few standard questions:

  1. Are your total possessions worth more than £7,500 (excluding computer equipment)?
    If yes, you can extend the cover up to £15,000 by selecting the personal possessions top up.
  2. Do you take possessions outside of your accommodation, (Such as iPods, digital cameras, laptops, iPads etc.)?
    If yes, you need to look at either the 'Specified Items' or 'Unspecified Items' section.
    • For 'Specified Items' you will need to list the item (s) and value (s) up to a maximum of £3,000.
    • For 'Unspecified Items' you can cover personal possessions up to £4,000 in total with a single item limit of £500.
    Please note that musical & orchestral instruments, pedal cycles and mobile phones cannot be covered under these sections as separate cover sections are available for these items.
  3. Is your computer equipment worth more than £2,500?
    If yes, you can extend the cover up to £5,000 by selecting the computer equipment top up.
  4. Do you require accidental damage cover?
    Accidental damage cover is excluded from the standard cover.
    An 'Accidental Damage' extension is available which will cover your 'Audio equipment, Computer Equipment, Games Consoles, Television, Video and DVD players against accidental damage whilst within the accommodation.
    Please note that accidental damage cover is automatically included for the following items where a top up has been purchased:
    • Mobile Phone
    • Pedal Cycles
    • Musical Instruments
    • Photographic equipment
    • Items listed under the "Specified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
    • Items insured under the "Unspecified Items | Cover Anywhere Within the UK" section
  5. Do you require cover for your pedal cycle?
    If yes, you will need to select the pedal cycle extension. This extension will cover your pedal cycle for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
  6. Is your pedal cycle worth more than £1,000?
    If yes, we can cover your pedal cycle up to £3,000 via our separate standalone pedal cycle product. To get a quote or for more information please click here.
  7. Do you require cover for your mobile phone outside your accommodation?
    If yes, you will need to select mobile phone extension. This extension will cover your mobile phone for theft or accidental damage anywhere within the UK up to £1,000.
  8. Do you require cover for your Course Fees?
    We offer a Tuition Fees and Rental Protection cover which will cover the cost of your tuition fees or rent if you're medically unable to continue studying your course through sickness or injury up to £20,000.

It is important that you understand that when you extend your cover you are taking out an individual insurance policy in addition to being covered under your University’s/Accommodation Provider’s Block Halls insurance policy.

Extend Your Students Contents Insurance Policy

Not In Halls?

If you are a student at the University of Bath but won't be living in accommodation managed by them this year, you won't be covered by this scheme.

However, we're offering a 10% off our Student Possessions Insurance for University of Bath students who are living in private accommodation. Just click on the link below where the 10% discount will be applied:


If you're a former University of Bath student or have graduated and would still like cover for your personal possessions and contents, we can also offer 10% off our tenant insurance. Just click the link below for a quote, the discount will be applied automatically: