0161 772 3382

Orchestral Instruments

Orchestral Instruments


If you just want to insure your orchestral instrument(s) then look no further. We can offer a standalone insurance product that will cover these items without having to take out a basic level of possessions insurance with us.

Why choose Cover4students for your orchestral instrument insurance:

  • Specialist Student Insurance
  • New for Old cover
  • Low £25 claim excess
  • Cover up to £3,000
  • Instant cover available – no waiting period

Our student orchestral instrument cover is designed to cover your instrument(s) such as brass, woodwind, orchestral stringed instruments etc.

This product is available to all students whether you are studying music or you’re budding singer song writer a member of the next big band we can cover your instrument(s) up to £3,000.

We Make It Easy

You can get a quote in seconds; all we need to know is the total combined value of your orchestral instruments that you wish to insure.

Cover can be taken out instantly and policy documents will be emailed to you.

We also offer a 14 day cooling off period meaning, if you decide for any reason that the policy does not meet your requirements within 14 days, we offer a full refund of your premium guarantee if you decide to cancel provided no claim has been made or pending.

Policy Features

At Cover4students we understand that you may already have student contents insurance within your accommodation via a University Block Insurance scheme (i.e. If you are in halls of residence) or by your parents’ home insurance policy – so why should you have to take out a full contents insurance policy to get insurance cover just for your orchestral instrument(s)? Well now you don’t, Cover4students have developed a product insurance cover that allows you to just cover the items you require such as your cello, violin, clarinet, saxophone etc.

  • Orchestral instruments cover up to £3,000 in total.
  • Theft – Covers your orchestral instrument(s) if it is stolen from your person or your property.
  • Please note that there is no forcible violent entry or exit to the property requirement for your instruments to be covered.
  • Covered anywhere within the UK.
  • Accidental damage cover – e.g. you drop your saxophone.
  • Covered in shared accommodation without any forcible violent entry or exit requirements to your room or the property.
  • New for Old cover – meaning we replace items on a new for old basis regardless of age.
  • Low £25 claim excess – you only pay the first £25 of any claim.
  • Covered overnight in entertainment venues provided that the orchestral instrument(s) are handed to the management and placed in a securely locked room, with any security devices in operation- up to a maximum of 72 hours at a time.
  • Cover up to £100 for the cost of hiring a temporary replacement of your orchestral instrument whilst the insure item is being repaired or awaiting replacement.

Orchestral Equipment Covered

Orchestral Instruments are defined as brass, woodwind, stringed orchestral instruments and non-electric pianos.

For example: Piano, Violin, Cello, Flute, Clarinet, French horn, Trombone, Saxophone, Trumpet, Harp, Double Bass. Tuba, Cornet.

If you’re unsure as to whether your instrument can be covered, then please contact us on 0161 772 3390.

If you also have a musical instrument(s) such as an electric guitar or drum set, then you can add these to the quote if you like by selecting the musical instrument option during the quote process along with the orchestral instrument option. If you have an orchestral instrument as defined above we can also cover this under the orchestral section of the quote process.

To Get A Quote for your orchestral instruments insurance, all we need to know is the total cost of all your orchestral instruments and we can cover all these items under one policy.

For example: Violin £500, Clarinet £600 and a Saxophone £500 = £1,600 in total.


If you purchase student orchestral instrument insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and policy summary documents.

You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.

We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Policy Wording and Policy Summary documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.

How to view the policy documents

The insurance for students policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the
Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help.To view your documents, please click on the links below:

Policies Purchased after 01/08/2019
Policies Purchased up to 01/08/2019
Adobe PDF Policy Wording  Claims FormPolicy Wording Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy IPIDPolicy IPID Adobe PDF
Insurance Product Information Document.


To start the claims process, please complete the Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.

If you have a valid claim please complete our online claim form listed above and return it along with:

  • Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
  • Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.

All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.

In some cases we may arrange either for a member of our staff or an independent chartered loss adjuster to discuss your claim with you. This is not always necessary but when it is we will advise you of the name and address of the loss adjuster and monitor progress of the claim for you.

Please don’t worry if we arrange for a loss adjuster or member of staff to visit you. It is a normal claims procedure and aims to speed up consideration of claims.

Certain types of claims will be considered directly by the insurers if refereed to them by cover4students.com

Fill out the online claims form here:  Claims Form

Phone: 0161 974 1101


Cover4students Claims Team,

Stream Claims Services,

Copthall House,

King Street,

Newcastle under Lyme,

ST5 1EL.

Policy Exclusions

We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents Tab.

What Is Not Insured

  • The first £25 of any loss.
  • Any amount above the sum insured selected for orchestral instrument(s).
  • Orchestral instruments and accessories.
  • Any claim damage to your orchestral instruments resulting from: -
    • Wear and tear or any gradually operating cause or determination, inherent or latest defect.
    • Wet or dry rot, mildew, frost, rust or corrosion.
    • Insects, vermin or woodworm.
    • Dyeing or restoration or any commercial process of cleaning or repairing.
    • Faulty design or workmanship on the use of the faulty materials.
  • Accessories or parts unless the instrument is damaged or stolen at the same time.
  • Breakage of strings and/or reeds and/or drum heads.
  • Loss or damage arising from electronic, electrical or mechanical breakdown, failure or derangement.
  • Loss or damage caused by:-
    • Climate or atmospheric conditions.
    • Dampness, dryness, shrinkage, contamination or extremes of temperature.
    • Effects of sunlight, fading, changes in colour texture or finish.
  • Theft by any person or persons to whom the property is entrusted.
  • Loss or damage to your orchestral instruments whilst left in an unattended vehicle.
  • Delay confiscation, nationalisation or detention by customers or other government public authority.
  • Depreciation or diminution in value of your orchestral instrument(s) following repair.
  • Any loss or costs that is not directly associated with the incident that caused you to claim, unless specifically stated in the policy.
  • Loss or damage to your orchestral instrument(s) occurring at any place of entertainment where they have been left overnight, unless handed to the proprietor or manager of the place of entertainment for safe keeping locked away in secure storage with any installed security devices in operation.
  • Damage to your orchestral instrument(s) sustained in travel unless they are securely packed in purpose designed, rigid bodied case.
  • Accidental damage to cymbals.
  • Where your orchestral instruments are kept temporarily in any place which is not your insured address. Except where they have been handed to the management of an entertainment venue for safe keeping, the cover is operable providing that the orchestral  instruments are in a secure locked room with any security devices in operation, up to a maximum period of 72 hours at a time.

Your Duty of Care

You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.


Yes, we can insure your orchestral instrument– but if the item needs to be replaced it will be replaced with a UK model /version to the closest specification.

Yes, we replace items where necessary on a new for old basis.

Orchestral instrument is intended to pay out when your instrument is accidentally damage or stolen. Not to be confused with a product warranty insurance – this insurance will not cover you for breakdown of the instrument due to mechanical failure, electronic faults or problems with instruments construction.

No, if for example you have mixing deck software on your laptop that you use with your keyboard you would need to cover the laptop separately. Our student product(s) policy will allow you to add computer equipment to your orchestral instrument policy.

Yes, there is no age limit on our policy. Please note that items are replaced on a new for old basis so if a claim does happen it will be replaced like for like with a similar item which is determined by your current items specification.

Yes, there is no requirement on the policy for forcible and violent entry or exit to the property. You would however need to report the theft to the police and gain a crime reference number.

This basically means that there doesn’t need to be a physical break-in to the property. As we are a specialist student insurer we understand that students often live in shared accommodation and we take into this into account. For example – say somebody comes back to your property with one of your flat mates, this person then enters your room and steals your guitar, as long as you report the incident to the police then you are still covered.

Please note that you do still have a duty of care requirement under the policy (you must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent loss) with this in mind you should close windows and lock main entry and exit doors when you leave the property.

If you drop your guitar or spill a drink on your keyboard these incidents count as accidental damage.

Yes, you are automatically covered for your orchestral instruments anywhere within the United Kingdom.

Under this product we cannot cover your orchestral instruments outside of the UK.

Yes, you will just need to insure up to the total cost of the multiple items i.e. bass guitar £500 + electric guitar £500 means you should select £1,000 for orchestral instruments cover.

Yes, we cover the instrument for accidental damage. Meaning we will repair or replace it for you.

It may, but some contents insurance policies exclude instruments. If they are included it is a good idea to check the limit as it may not be high enough. Our standalone policy can cover the instrument up to £3,000.

Orchestral instruments are expensive to replace, so it pays to have a good insurance policy to protect them, but it is not compulsory.

You need to select cover up to the amount it would cost you to replace all your instruments as new. 

Accidental damage, loss and theft: This covers your instruments if they are damaged, lost or stolen.

Our orchestral instrument insurance can cover all types of orchestral instruments up to £3,000 in total such as traditional instruments (acoustic and electric guitars, drums, strings and pianos) and their accessories (cases, pedals, adaptors, drum sticks and bows), if they are damaged or stolen at the same time.

We will also cover the cost up to £100 of hiring temporary replacement orchestral instruments whilst your insured instrument is undergoing repair or awaiting a replacement.

We have updated our Cookie Policy and our Privacy policy. Cookies are used to ensure we provide the best customer experience. Continued use of this website assumes your acceptance of these policies.